1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Display Adapters MIA

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by justBree, Jan 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. justBree

justBree Thread Starter

I recently reformatted and lost my display adapters. Tried installing a chipset and some other things, but they wouldn't work - something along the lines of the computer thinking I had no graphics card or somesuch. Being very computer illiterate, I tried reformatting again but it didn't fix my problem (I'm sure you are all terribly surprised :rolleyes: ) I searched this board for problems similiar and discovered my PCI device, SM bus Controller, and Video Controller to all have little yellow question marks beside them but no idea how to fix it?

my computer is, btw, an Acer Aspire T180, formerly with vista but now with XP.

Any help is appreciated :D

2. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

Go back to the video controller in Device Manager and right click it to go to the Properties. Click the Details tab and note the four characters which appear in Device ID after VEN and the four after DEV. Go to http://www.pcidatabase.com and enter the four DEV characters in the second input box - for Device - and hit Enter. The list that follows will have the VEN characters in the Vendor column and that tells you who made the device. Follow any links to the maker's website and you should find the right driver.

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Here is the driver downloads site for the Acer Aspire T180 desktop.

Once you select the version of Windows XP(Home or Pro or 64-bit) that you have, the list of drivers will appear.

The NVIDIA chipset needs to be installed first and then the computer restarted before installing any other drivers.

---------------------------------------------------------------

The link and instructions that Saga Lout gave you will assist you in confirming the identity of that computer's devices.

You should never format a hard drive and upgrade to a newer version or downgrade to an older version of Windows without first identifying the computer's devices and obtaining the drivers for them.

---------------------------------------------------------------

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/976131

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice