1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Display Adaptor? What Display Adaptor?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by p268bfor, Aug 17, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. p268bfor

p268bfor Thread Starter

I deleted "Display Adaptors" in the Device Manager. I know it said VGA Matrox something or other. Is there a way to get it back? I deleted it because I kept getting an error message that the display adaptors were misconfigured or something and I couldn't change the display settings.

Have I totally screwed it up??

2. Linkmaster

Linkmaster

Hi p268bfor,
    Did you remove the display adapter? If so I think a reformat is in order to put it back. But let me investigate further. Ill stay in touch.

3. Linkmaster

Linkmaster

Hi again p268bfor,
    Ill ask a dumb question: Have you rebooted since you deleted the adapter?

4. Hrumachis334

Hrumachis334

All you have to do is reainstall it, if you have the disk that came with the card put it in the machine and let autoplay run. If id eosn't have autoplay then reboot the computer and wait for the Add New Hardware Wiard to come up, then click browse after the window pops, then find the driver on the disk, its most likeley in a folder named "Driver."

5. brianF

brianF

Reboot and hopefully windows will reinstall your video card.
    If not reinstall the drivers from the installation cd, or if you don't have it go to Matrox and download new drivers for your model card and install.

Matrox driver download page http://www.matrox.com/mga/support/drivers/certified/home.cfm

[Edited by brianF on 08-17-2001 at 06:47 AM]

6. p268bfor

p268bfor Thread Starter

thanks everybody. i have rebooted and the display adapters didn't come back. I've already gone to the Matrox web site too. So I just need to download the latest drivers for my display adapter?

What the heck is a display adapter? Is that another name for the vidio card? If so, how come I can still see a picture on the monitor?

7. brianF

brianF

Yes it's the video card. You can still operate do to windows loading low resolution generic drivers for your card.

If you notice on the link I gave you there is a link to help identify your card so as to download the right drivers.

8. Hrumachis334

Hrumachis334

A display adapter is a driver for your video card.

9. p268bfor

p268bfor Thread Starter

This website is great!! I will let you know how it goes with Matrox . . . now I have a different question.

Someone gave me something called a "Magic Disk" that says Windows 98, 98SE & ME, Full Versions . . . If I reformatted my hard drive and I wanted to install one of these OS from this disk, what would I type in at the DOS prompt to get the cd to transfer the OS to my hard drive?

10. Hrumachis334

Hrumachis334

When you're at the dos prompt you need to type D: (or corresopondong letter for cd rom) press enter, then type dir/p then press enter, a list of all the files on the disk will show up, you want to see if theres a folder for the os you want to install, I reccomend you type in cd/osfoldername, then type setup and press enter. If there is no folder and its a program where you choose what you want to install later within the program then just type setup and press enter.

11. p268bfor

p268bfor Thread Starter

H...334,

Will I need a boot disk for that OS? For example if I wanted to install Windows ME, would I have to have a Windows ME boot disk as well as the Magic Disk?

12. p268bfor

p268bfor Thread Starter

Oh yeah. One more thing . . . I got my display adapters back, but I am getting a display settings error message that says "the display adapter type is incorrect or the current settings do not work with your hardware" . . .

I removed Windows NT from this computer and installed Windows 98. Would the NT drivers be causing this problem? Do you think I need to install new Matrox drivers for Windows 98? I mean I hate to uninstall and reinstall if that's not the problem . . . The Matrox forum is closed for the weekend . . . couldn't find the answer there. Don't they know some of us have to work for a living? The weekend is the only time I have to spend on this computer stuff!!

13. Hrumachis334

Hrumachis334

You wouldn't need a boot disk to install it, the program should make it for you after you start installing. I know they do a lot of stupid and idiotic things but they wouldn't be stupid enough to ask someone for a boot up disk that would run the progrm that would make the boot disk, unless it came with the software.

Right click on my computer, click properties, you can also go to start>settings>control panel>System, then when you're there click on the "Devince Manager" tab. When you get there click the plus next to the Display Adapter tree, it may already be branched out, look and see if there is a yellow circle with a "!" inside it. If there is it usually means that the driver isn't installed or it is the wrong driver. Click on "Properties" and then click on the
    "Driver" tab, then click "Update Driver." The "update device driver wizard" should come up, follow the instructions, when you get to a page that says where do you want to search for the driver, or something along those lines, put the original disc that came with the card in the cd drive, then click the box "CD-ROM," you must have downloaded the wrong drivers for your card, thats why its not working properly. Then click Next, if the thing can't find it, wich it often can't, press back, then search throught the cd for it until it shows up in the box beside the folders.

14. p268bfor

p268bfor Thread Starter

I dont have the cd that came with the card. The video card was already there. It was probably installed with the original windows NT...All I did was remove NT and install Win 98. So what I am wondering is whether or not I created this display setting problem by installing Win 98 when perhaps the video card and drivers are for Win NT.

Can they be interchanged? When I removed NT did I remove the NT drivers for the video card and reinstall Win 98 drivers? I keep thinking that maybe I have a compatability problem. As you can see I really have no clue. . .I figured I would just uninstall the drivers and reinstall new ones, but I am not sure if I should be installing NT drivers or Win 98 drivers for this Matrox card.

15. Hrumachis334

Hrumachis334

Your driver has to do mainly with hardware compatibility, not software. Ususally when you buy a preloaded computer they give you all the software and drivers that they used on installation, if they don't then they are pretty much breaking international copyright laws. If your copmuter assembler company gave you a bunch of software with your comuter look throuh it and find a cd that says matrox or video card on it.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/50952

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice