1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

display driver failure and safe mode freeze (xp home)

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by djlera, Apr 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. djlera

djlera Thread Starter

Hi there-

I tried finding a similar problem in the posts to no avail and frankly this is kind of embarrassing…

I have a generic laptop running Windows XP Home (SP?) and everything was working fine until I (in my infinite wisdom) disabled both my regular Intel display driver and then later the VGA display driver. Reckless curiosity killed my poor computer. So obviously I know very little about operating systems and the like, but I´m getting random diagnoses from my tech friends. 1) the hard drive is bad. 2) something about BIOS. 3) windows CD boot needed, but only with XP home

Anyway: the facts.

1. I can start the computer with normal boot and I see the windows xp loading screen with the loading bar. Then I get a black screen (probably cuz I disabled the display drivers) but I can hear the computer starting up normally (ie. windows tone and the skype loading tone).

2. So I tried to boot in safe mode and I get a hang up/freeze somewhere along the driver loading lines. I don´t have it with me so I can´t tell you what exactly. One note, the screen seems to flash just before the freeze.

3. All other functions in the f8 screen load me to the situation in 1 (black screen with sound). No VGA mode, no reverting, no command prompt, nada.

Any guidance or wise pity gratefully accepted.

Thanks!
    D
    :eek:

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/702369

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice