1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Display driver issues & USB peripherals reset

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Lcdel, Oct 23, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Lcdel

Lcdel Thread Starter

I hope someone can help me with this, I'm a digital artist working from home and this is really affecting my job! My display driver and USB ports are both badly acting up. I'm not sure exactly when this all started--the display issue has been happening for a while but everything started getting worse in the last few weeks.
    • Display issue: Online PC games say the graphics driver is bad and needs an update, but when I try to update I'm told it's the most recent version. When trying to watch a video (in Windows' native player especially), my monitors will flash and the video blacks out. I use Zbrush for work that I think is a more RAM-involved program than graphics card and it does *not* cause display blackout. Sometimes all open programs will shift off Monitor 2 onto Monitor 1 after the screen flash.
    • USB issue: Device manager constantly flickers when I have it open. Often when I'm working, I'll hear a disconnect noise and my keyboard, mouse, and the pen input on my Cintiq/tablet monitor all go dead for a few seconds. Uninstalling USB drivers and restarting the PC hasn't done anything. Since yesterday I've also been getting popups from Windows about not recognizing a USB drive or something malfunctioning.
    System Info:
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit
    Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X Eight-Core Processor, AMD64 Family 23 Model 8 Stepping 2
    Processor Count: 16
    RAM: 32715 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080, -1 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 465 GB (182 GB Free); D: 3725 GB (1396 GB Free);
    Motherboard: MSI, X370 GAMING PLUS (MS-7A33)
    Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled and Updated

Thank you for any help!

Last edited: Oct 23, 2019
  2. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

3. Lcdel

Lcdel Thread Starter

Thanks a lot, this got me partway there! When I went through the Nvidia site I tried the studio instead of gaming driver install which seems to have stopped the blacking out during video, which is great.

I tried the BIOS and cipset updates, but Device Manager is still constantly flickering and my peripherals are still resetting, so looks like that wasn't it.

4. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

Please explain this.

5. Lcdel

Lcdel Thread Starter

When the device manager window is up, device manager (not the whole screen) is constantly flickering/resetting/refreshing itself on its own. I have to rush to open a drop down menu and see the contents for example because the screen will refresh in a second and the menu will be collapsed again.

6. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

Power off peripherals and unplug from PC, Turn PC off....this time hold the start button down for 12 extra seconds to completely drain power. Then tun PSU switch to off, then unplug PSU power cord from power outlet or surge protector. Open up case and pull CMOS battery out for 5 minutes. Then reverse the process and check for problem.

7. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

Wow...very strange....that said....I'm thinking it's a software issue rather than hardware. Your OS may be corrupted.

Question: did you flash the BIOS or just download it?

8. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1234658

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice