1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Display driver stopped responding and has recovered

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by ToshibaFan1, Dec 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ToshibaFan1

ToshibaFan1 Thread Starter

I have a Toshiba X505-Q880 laptop with a display issue. I’ve had this laptop for about 18 months now with no major problems until recently. The specifications for my laptop are: Intel i7 with 6Gb memory, NVIDIA GeForce GTS 360M video chip, 18.4” display, Windows 7 SP 1 (64 bit), Internet Explorer 9. About 4-5 months ago this issue started where my display would occasionally go blank momentarily then come back and a message would appear in the lower right of the display. The message is: “Display driver stopped responding and has recovered.” Usually this glitch would occur while on Internet Explorer 9 doing email or online schooling (primary uses for now) or just surfing the internet. The glitch also did occur with other programs and games, but it didn’t seem to matter if I was on a graphics intensive program or not. It would occur at random usually at least once within the first hour of operation then at random intervals after that. At first it was just a nuisance but it’s been occurring a little more frequently and just last week this glitch caused the computer to crash to a blue screen. Details of that are:

Problem signature:
    Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
    OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
    Locale ID: 1033
    Additional information about the problem:
    BCCode: 116
    BCP1: FFFFFA800B12F4E0
    BCP2: FFFFF88006CF4088
    BCP3: FFFFFFFFC000009A
    BCP4: 0000000000000004
    OS Version: 6_1_7601
    Service Pack: 1_0
    Product: 768_1

After the blue screen of doom the computer restarted itself and provided the details shown above. Hasn't crashed since but I still get the display driver glitch so I assume it could happen again. From suggestions seen on similar posts I have always propped up the back of my computer on a desk for improved cooling. I checked and made sure all vents were free of dust. I downloaded the latest display driver for my laptop, one of the first things I did. The new driver looked like it was working but that solution only lasted a few days. Back when the display glitch first started, I “restored” the computer and defragged the hard drive (fixed another minor issue but no effect on this one). Also, I always shut my computer down when not in use (with a SSHD there’s no reason not to). I’ve heard that the problem could be a Windows 7 update or a Graphics chip defect. But if it was a Graphics chip (GPU) problem, wouldn’t I have issues with the graphics being displayed? I seem to get maximum resolution and maximum performance from the GPU at all times…until the display driver stops responding. I’m not familiar with display driver settings so those are all default from when I installed the newest display driver. Any ideas what the “display driver not responding” glitch could be and how to deal with it? Thanks.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1031202

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice