"Display Driver Stopped Responding and Has Recovered"

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

vuvcsuy

When I first got Portal 2, it ran fine and i got about 2 hours of gameplay until i got the error "Display Driver Stopped Responding and Has Recovered". I assumed it was because I overheated, and I turned off the computer for the day. The next day I got back on, and it didn't even let me in game without crashing and showing the same error sign. Ive uninstalled, reinstalled, and cleared the game, but nothing is working. Increasing the GPU processing time to 8 also did nothing. I even went to the in-game settings and put all the video graphics to the lowest settings, but that didnt change the game crash at all. I dont think its a matter of getting a new graphics card, because mine did work in the game for 2 hours. None of my other games give me this problem. Does anyone know how this issue can be solved?

Last edited:

keltic1der

Donald
The issue occurs when the Timeout Detection and Recovery feature available in Windows Vista and 7 detects that the graphics card has not responded within a predetermined period of time and reinitializes it with the Windows Display Driver Model to prevent the need to reboot.

1, What is the operating system installed?
2. Have you taken any steps other than what you mentioned to troubleshoot the issue?
- Such as checking for driver updates?
- Check the temp of the CPU and GPU?
3. Are all Windows Updates Installed (including the latest service pack?

Maybe is the GPU instability issue when it's running at full speed, so try to reset the Base Clock Offset by 25MHz, it will helps.

vuvcsuy

The issue occurs when the Timeout Detection and Recovery feature available in Windows Vista and 7 detects that the graphics card has not responded within a predetermined period of time and reinitializes it with the Windows Display Driver Model to prevent the need to reboot.

1, What is the operating system installed?
2. Have you taken any steps other than what you mentioned to troubleshoot the issue?
- Such as checking for driver updates?
- Check the temp of the CPU and GPU?
3. Are all Windows Updates Installed (including the latest service pack?
Thank you both for the advice. I ended up deleting some game files that were causing the glitch, and all is back to normal. Heres the link if anyone else has the issue
Have a great day and thanks again guys

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!