1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Display Driver

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Limon, Feb 25, 2020.

Advertisement
  1. Limon

Limon Thread Starter

Hello guys.

Hp Workstation XW4400: W7.

It originally had two Graphic drivers. One became faulty and was removed. The other one also became faulty, and was removed. This present one, Nvidia GeForce GT730, was fitted about one or two years ago.

This week, a number of times this computer has stopped working, showing, 'Display Driver have stopped responding and has recovered'.

Is it possible to update this one, please?. Thank you.

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    My Dell OptiPlex 980 minitower has a NVIDIA GeForce GT 730 2 GB graphics card and is running Windows 7 Pro SP1 64-bit.
    The graphics card works fine with its current driver version 26.21.14.4219

When you say your HP xw4400 WorkStation has stopped working, what exactly is it doing?
    What is the exact serial number(S/N) on yours?

---------------------------------------------------------------

3. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    James
  4. Limon

Limon Thread Starter

'Display driver stopped responding and has recovered'. < That is the message. Happens if I am reading an article then 'clicks' onto something else.

The computer then switches off automatically, and the amber light on the power button remain 'On'.

Pressing the power button does not switch the PC 'ON'. Switch off at the socket. Wait for a while, then switch the PC on again.

I have used the link to download, as suggested by Couriant.

Serial No. CZC7193XJB : xw4400: 64 bit.

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

That sounds more like a hardware problem ie failing pw supply, failing motherboard, etc.

6. Couriant

First Name:
    James
    .. or failing video card.... :) Although now that I re-read the initial post... this was the 3rd video card? then I would suspect either motherboard or PW that is damaging the video card (ie too much power to the card).

7. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    From what I can determine, the HP xw4400 WorkStation comes with a 460W power supply.

8. Couriant

First Name:
    James
    The card from a few sources shows it is a low power card and the minimum power supply capable is 300W. I don't believe this card has an additional power slot but if it does, it shouldn't need it.

9. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    The GeForce GT 730 graphics card is a low-power model with no external connector and is what I've used in my older Dell desktops.
    I only perform basic functions and don't game or do anything that's graphics-hungry, so it works well for that purpose.

10. Limon

Limon Thread Starter

May have found the reason.

At one time I backed up to WD external HD. It has not been permanently connected to the computer.

Today, on the right of the Taskbar I found, 'Files that help describe the problem'. for example, WD20200211.dmp. Ten similar .dmp files. Problem: Video Hardware Error.

At one point, 'NVIDIA kernel' flashed up in the report, but disappeared before I could get details.

So, I am guessing if I remove WDDriveUtilitiesSetup file it may solve the problem.

Also from HP, I downloaded, Nvidia Quadro Professional Graphics Driver X191.97 for WXP. That was the OEM driver. Should be okay to re-install it, and remove GeForce 730 ?.

This machine was originally XP, upgraded to run W7.

11. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    The Quadro and GeForce drivers are completely different.
    Do not attempt to install a Quadro driver in a computer that has a GeForce graphics device.
    The driver will recognize the graphics device as incompatible and won't install anyway.

12. Limon

Limon Thread Starter

Thank you. I did not install the Quadro, but I uninstalled and then reinstalled the Ge Force. Works fine now.

Thank you.

13. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
  14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1240798

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice