1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Display extreemely corrupted and now computer doesn't start.

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Mdgames, Oct 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Mdgames

Mdgames Thread Starter

Well... I was playing World of Warcraft like usual and I got an error message that nvlddkmk display driver had stopped responding but I ignored it because it doesn't happen that often. Then I restarted World of Warcraft and I got the same message instantly. So I looked up what was wrong and found out I needed to update my display drivers. So I went to Nvidia's website which leads me to Dell.com and I downloaded the correct drivers and followed their directions to install them and restarted my computer. When I restarted it the display was so choppy and unreadable that I couldn't do anything. I could log by luck by clicking around the screen to find my name but when I logged in, the same thing, it was still 95% unreadable. Then I restarted my computer to see if anything changed. It was still too choppy to read and all I could make out was the screen where it says your computer didn’t start successfully and the options were I think "Startup Repair (recommended)" and "Start windows normally" it was too choppy to be sure. I chose the recommended one and it did its thing then restarted but this time when it restarted nothing came up. It was just a black screen with vertical dark green lines with a large gap of just black about 3/4 the way across the screen and then more vertical dark green lines. I have tried turning on my computer after that and the same thing happens. So because it all happened after updating/installing new display drivers, I would assume that I did something wrong. Is there anything I can do to fix this? Reformatting is not really an option because that’s what everyone says because it works. Well, yes, it works but I am going to ask every forum I find before I erase everything unless there is a way to get my files off before reformatting, in which case I would be fine with because I wouldn't lose much if anything, only would have to reinstall my programs. Sorry for the wall of text but I didn't want to leave anything out. So any help to fix this would be awesome.

Computer:
    XPS M1330
    Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T7500 (2.2GHz/800MhzFSB, 4M L2 Cache)
    2GB, DDR2, 667MHz 2 Dimm
    128MB NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS
    160GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive

The warranty ran out 2 months ago so returning it and having them fix it is out.:(

2. terryxp

terryxp

Nvidia has a driver removal app that cleans up old or corrupted drivers so you can start fresh... do a search at nvidia

3. Mdgames

Mdgames Thread Starter

I just spent aobut 30min searching their site and could not find anything even close to what you are talking about. Also that WOULD have been a good solution. Only 1 problem, like I said, when I start my computer all I see is virtical lines. I do not see any loading screens whatsoever. I tried starting it up again today and if I listen closely I can hear the chime when it gets to the login screen and when I press enter to log in I can also hear the login chimes. So I guess my computer DOES work and start but the display is 100% unreadable(as in its not blurry or glitchy... it's ONLY purely virtical lines). So downloading and using something on it I don't see happening unless you can tell me how to using just the keyboard:eek:

4. mt2002

mt2002

Does safe mode work for you? Safe mode will use the default VGA/SVGA video drivers so if it is a driver issue, it should work fine in safe mode.

5. Mdgames

Mdgames Thread Starter

Well I had another paragraph about what was wrong... but while I was writing it I found another post on antother forum telling me I'm ****ed over now because my warrenty expired 2 months ago. So thanks for the help but I guess there is nothing I can do... besides literally throw it out the window. Some even said that restoring to factory defaults and reinstalling windows didn't help.
    http://www.dellcommunity.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=Tech_Talk_XPS_Laptop&thread.id=319

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!