1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Display Flickers after moving

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by BillPaxton, Feb 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BillPaxton

BillPaxton Thread Starter

Hi, first time poster on the forums, great job you guys do here (y)

My problem is probably related to having just moved my computer to a new apartment, but I'm trying to isolate the exact cause.

The Problem: My monitor flickers at various Screen Refresh rates except the lowest one available (which hurts my eyes to begin with).

Things I have tried: I instantly thought my old CRT was on the way out when it happened, so I switched monitors to no avail.
    - re-installed display drivers.

What I just recently noticed (since I rarely restart my PC), is that the screen flickers even on the Memory/BIOS screen before I even enter windows. Which leads me to believe it is not a problem with my OS or drivers.

So, I'm wondering if there is a fix or if my mobo/graphics card might be broken.

Thanks

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Some things to check/do

1 Open the case and reseat the video card [if you have onboard video, disregard]
    2 Take a good look at the monitor cable; see if you have any bent pins. If possible, try another known good cable.

Yes, flickering on the post screen has nothing to do with windows and or drivers. It is a hardware problem.

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

One other thing. Do you have any electric motor near the system ie a fan, blower, etc? This can also cause the screen to flicker.

Have you tried the system in another electrical outlet?

4. BillPaxton

BillPaxton Thread Starter

Hi, thanks for your reply

I tried reseating the card to no avail. I have tried two monitors and two outlets as well as two power bars. No luck.

My pc is not near any fans or blowers.... is it possible my 3D card is kaput?

When I boot, the screen is shaky on the POST screen as well as the BIOS setup, but oddly, not on the ASUS mobo screen.

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Yes, it is possible your card has failed. I would think since you moved the system, something is loose. Have you tried reseating ALL connections in the case? If so, then the next thing I would do would be to swap in a known good video card.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/682817

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice