1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Display gone weird...

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by rehless, Dec 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rehless

rehless Thread Starter

I have three year old custom built pc. Gigabyte P55-UD4 , mobo, i750 cpu, 23" nVidia 9500 GS gpu.
    This morning when I turned it on, the wallpaper is stretched way out of proportion, task bar not
    visible. Completely hay wire. Can not try a system restore as for some reason, the pc doesn't set them automatically like it should. So, is my graphics card shot? Any help appreciated. Thank you all.

2. rehless

rehless Thread Starter

Addendum: Just swapped in a different gpu and still same problem. Just a large portion of my wallpaper, no task bar. I had nVidia in and when I put in an ATI, the gpu control panel still comes up as nVidia....?

3. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

What are the display settings set to? Can you change them? Does it have an affect? Did you try a different monitor?

4. rehless

rehless Thread Starter

Settings are 1920x1200. Did not try another monitor, but I will now. Thank you for the reply.

5. rehless

rehless Thread Starter

Just hooked up to a smaller monitor with vga only input (blue) and it's working fine. Does this mean this HP monitor I bought a couple months ago is shot?

6. rehless

rehless Thread Starter

Hooked up my 24" Dell and the pic size was fine, but it was all red. Any one know what this, means?

7. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Did you use a different video cable?

8. rehless

rehless Thread Starter

Double Helix, yes I did.

9. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Then I'd say you have two problems: the original monitor is shot, and the new cable is damaged. Use the original cable with a new monitor, and everything should work fine.

10. rehless

rehless Thread Starter

Doublehelix, not exactly right, I just hooked the HP 23 to my main pc and the pic is fine. Got to be in the other pc. The card, tho I swapped it or some other thing. The monitor is working fine on a different pc.

11. rehless

rehless Thread Starter

Working right. I put a brand new cable on (third one) and all seems well. Thank you for your help.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/970949

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice