1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Display has changed - can't change back

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by morten, Jun 3, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. morten

morten Thread Starter

Help!

This morning, the display changed itself to 16 color 640X480. I've done everything windows advises. Changed the acceleration, searched for a new driver, but windows tells me the best driver is already installed!

What can I do to get my monitor back?!

2. mtbird

mtbird

Hi morten.....
    Could you give a bit more information to try and help. What version of windows are you running ? Is it onboard video or a video card ? If so, what kind is it ?

Thanks.

Debe

3. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Since you don't say what operating system you are running, I'm going to suggest a scanreg /restore from a c: prompt..........

Choose yesterday or the day before.........

4. morten

morten Thread Starter

Thanks. It's the standard video card that came with the Compaq, if that helps. I'm running windows me.

5. mtbird

mtbird

Hi morten.....
    How about going to this link.......

http://belarc.com/free_download.html

and download the Belarc Advisor program. Save it to your desktop, click on it to run. It should tell us what video you have. Post back with the info and we'll see if we can get you some updated drivers.

Debe

6. mtbird

mtbird

morten......
    If belarc doesn't ID your video card, give us the model of your compaq computer.

Are you familiar with the scanreg /restore feature in ME ?

Debe

7. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Along those same lines, if you go to the Compaq website, you should be able to key your serial number, or the make/model and find out exactly what it came pre-installed with.........

8. morten

morten Thread Starter

Worst case scenario. I used the c: prompt to load a scanreg/restore. That made the computer lock up entirely, and would only start in safe mode. So, the machine is now in the shop, at $50/hour, getting backed up, blownout, and reinstalled. Yikes. But thanks for your assistance anyways.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/82090

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice