1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

display: none; and google

Discussion in 'Web Design & Development' started by twoshoes, Apr 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. twoshoes

twoshoes Thread Starter

Hey guys,

Does this actually work? My index.htm page us nearly all flash and googles description isnt the best...

Can someone tell me what kind of results I will get with this?

Code:
    #hidden {
    	display: none;
    }
    -->
    </style>
    </head>

<body>
    <div id = "hidden">Welcome to Salthouse Living, we are dedicated to providing
    the highest quality and service to our customers in product and sales</div>

2. Mudley

Mudley

If it helps, it won't help much...and it won't help for long.

Hidden text is considered spammy.

Your best best is to make an html version :)

3. amanxman

amanxman

Unfortunately such practises are actually against search engine regulations... they regulate that the user (i.e. you, me, the people with eyes) see exactly the same content that the search engine sees...

so sticking in content that is not displayed to the people with eyes, but is read by search engines is against their regulations...

A large german car making company ;) did this on a large scale a few years back and were banned from google listing all together for 12 months (i think) as a result...

To get around the flash not being read by search engines, you can add alt tags and alternative versions for html... or, even better, don't use as much flash (or ideally if you ask me, any at all)! It's not user or search engine friendly! But hey... :)

hope that helps, sorry it's not the answer u were hoping!

amx

4. FireCrotch

FireCrotch

As previously mentioned, ALT descriptions are your friend in this circumstance. Not only will it help with Google, it will make your site more accessible to those who are using software which cannot display Flash (such as those using text browsers such as Links, and those who are visually impared and use screen readers). In addition, Google does actually pay attention to the META DESCRIPTION, and typically uses that when it deems necessary.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/701726

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice