1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Display not working

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Danemery, Dec 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Danemery

Danemery Thread Starter

so recently I just moved all my parts into a new case( before this my pc was working perfectly) all the parts power on but when I plug my monitors into the graphics card or motherboard they pop and say no signal then go into rest mode,any idea on what this could be?

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

So none of the parts are new. When you power on the machine, does the motherboard light go on? Do you see the CPU fan and case fan turn on? These only mean that there is power current to the motherboard, it does not mean you have not static electricity fried the components.

3. Danemery

Danemery Thread Starter

All the parts were new and every fan and light turns on the motherboard and cpu is about 3 years old, the graphics card is 1 year and so is everything else

4. lunarlander

lunarlander

Re-seat the graphics card snugly. Re-seat the RAM sticks - there is a notch on the bottom of the RAM and it is not in the center, so it can only go in one way. Both clamps on the each end should snap shut with a click automatically when inserted correctly.

5. Danemery

Danemery Thread Starter

I have does that several times but I do have a new motherboard, ram and SSD coming Monday

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

On just about all modern hardware, inserting a real video card disables the onboard/onchip video. If you have a real video card, the only working output would be the card; not the mb port.
    Next we have no idea what hardware you are running. It would really help if you posted ALL of your exact system specs.

If the parts worked before and not now, there are really only two things that could have happened;
    1 You broke something while working inside the case
    2 One or more parts are not fully plugged in; ie aux pw connector, atx pw connector, ram, etc

Some common errors;
    1 4/8/12pin aux pw connector not plugged in
    2 Motherboard shorting to case due to incorrect placement of standoffs. Are you sure you checked the placement of standoffs in the new case and ONLY installed standoffs where there are motherboard screw holes?

Did you do anything else ie remove the heatsink fan, replace thermal compound OR did you just pull the board and install as is in the new case?

Last edited: Dec 28, 2018
  7. Danemery

Danemery Thread Starter

My specs are core i3 processor,gtx1050 ddr3 8gb ram 2x1tb hardrives

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

OK, while not really necessary in this case, we generally need exact spec; ie exact motherboard, exact ram, etc. As I said not really necessary for this however you have not answered the questions above. Did you do anything else other than just swap parts?
    Are you sure of the standoff placement in the new case?

9. Danemery

Danemery Thread Starter

I removed the cpu fan and all the standoffs and taken out as motherboard would be too high and I couldn’t fit into the right slots

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

OK, if you did what you described, you have your answer. You cannot install a motherboard without the standoffs. It shorts and fries the board. If your case came with things like the pic below and you did not use them, then you have your answer.

Attached Files:

11. Danemery

Danemery Thread Starter

Thank you,my pc still runs but doesn’t display,will this fix the display?

12. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Most likely not. You can try however when you screw a board directly to the case, it almost always fries the board, cpu, ram, etc.
    If you want to see IF your parts still work, do an out of the case build and see if the motherboard will POST. As I said, probably not however it costs nothing but time to try.

13. Danemery

Danemery Thread Starter

Okay thank you I will keep you updated

14. Danemery

Danemery Thread Starter

Just tried it putting the stand off screws on and still nothing

15. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Did you do the out of case build? That is the only way you are going to tell if you fried your parts.
    My guess is that you did and the only way to tell what you fried is to test each of your parts in a test or bench system.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1221055

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice