1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Display probem on HP Pavilion laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Lowtechie, Jan 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Lowtechie

Lowtechie Thread Starter

I think this is going to be a "loose wire" type hardware problem, but I'd appreciate any views on it.
    The screen on my laptop (I think the specs are in my profile, but if you want more info just ask) has developed an irritating fault, where the leftmost 20% is lighter than the rest of the screen, so there is a pale haze over that area.
    If I hit prt scrn then copy the screendump into e.g. Word, this haze is still there. (but if I copy it into Corel Photohouse it vanishes, which is an irrit, as I'm struggling to show you what it looks like) But I think I've managed to capture it using MGI Photosuite
    Any suggestions?

Attached Files:

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    cant see it in the image

what happens if yuo change the wallpaper - to NONE so its just one colour rather than an image

3. winbob

winbob

Gotta agree....I can't see it either :(

4. Lowtechie

Lowtechie Thread Starter

Oh dear - slight mind slip there, sorry :confused: - you're right it isn't visible on the image. I could only see it on the image if I zoomed up to full screen when the image was underneath the white stripe!

The stripe is there right from the point I turn on regardless of what is on the screen. It's even there on the black screen before the HP logo screen displays before windows starts. If I have an area which is 100% black, the area under the stripe shows as about grey 75%.

RGB 255,0,0 shows as 255,45,45 : 0,0,255 --> 45,45,255 and so forth.

In the desktop image shown it covers the leftmost three columns of icons. Everything is still there and visible but "faded"

5. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

A screen capture takes the image data from video RAM, so a hardware fault in the panel cannot be captured other than by use of a digital camera.

Your description sounds like a non-repairable fault in the panel to me.

6. Lowtechie

Lowtechie Thread Starter

Yep, I'd come to about the same conclusion once I reallised that I hadn't captured it!, though I did wonder if there was any software sitting between the video RAM and the display panel that might be busted.

Really made my day (not). Would I be right in saying that I have 3 options .....

1 Try and find someone who can replace the panel
    2 Chuck my 2 year old under-powered laptop and buy a new one
    3 Live with the problem

If option "1", I'd appreciate advice on relative merits of

1 Hawking round small private pc repair shops
    2 Taking out a mortgage and taking it to PC World
    3 Sending it back to HP
    4 Whatever else I haven't thought of, (short of getting out a screwdriver and prodding around myself - Engineer I am not!)

Whichever way, I'd probably get them to bump up the memory to whatever will go in the box whilst they had the lid off

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/539701

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice