1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Display Problem...Need Help!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dreamspinner3, Nov 28, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dreamspinner3

dreamspinner3 Thread Starter

I have a Compaq Presario 7110US running Windows ME, a NVIDA Ge Force 2 MX video card, and a generic monitor from my old PC. I did a system restore using Windows ME due to some buggy software to a prior time & now I can't get the monitor to display a resolution above 640x480 AND under My Computer, Properites, Device Manager, it shows I have TWO monitors, which I don't.
    For both monitors it says, "No driver files are required or have been loaded for this device." The OS doesn't recognize my monitor as a Plug & Play monitor, which it is. It has recognized it in the past without a problem.

I tried updating the drivers for the video card, but that didn't help.
    Then I booted into Safe Mode, removed the video & remove the videop display & both monitors from the Device Manager & restarted, no good. So I then tried restoring the system to the factory backup, wiping out all my software & changes I had made to the PC, the rebooted. IT STILL HAS THE SAME
    PROBLEM.

Compaq thinks the problem is a hardware issue & suggests I take the machine into the shop. I find it hard to believe since the problem just happened to occur after doing a system restore & never before.

Could something be screwed up in the registery, could it be my monitor is going bad, or should I take it into the shop?

Thanks!

2. slipe

slipe

Did the Nvida card come with the computer? If you added it did you remove the old card or disable onboard video?

Your restore disc is installing drivers for the original card if the Nvida is an upgrade. Get back with specifics on your installation.

3. dreamspinner3

It came with the computer, already installed. I tried restoring the drivers from the restore disk, from Compaq's site...still did nothing to fix the problem. I did a full Factory Restore...still didn't fix the problem.

4. kimmer13

kimmer13

I had this happen to me on 2 different pcs in the last year (after doing a restore couldn't get higher resolution). The only thing that ultimately worked was re-installing the operating system (after wiping the hard drive - when i reinstalled over the old it did not work). That meant I had to get actual operating system cd's which did not come with the PC's.
    Very frustrating and time consuming, but it did work.
    Good luck !

5. dreamspinner3

I hope that isn't what I have to do. The PC did not come with the OS on disk. It was pre-installed & the only thing I can use is the recovery disk that came with it that gives me the option to restore the PC to the factory-installed setup. I did that & it didn't fix the problem. I guess I will take it into the shop & see what they have to say.

6. kimmer13

kimmer13

Let me know what you find. I had to borrow an OS cd from a neighbor to do my fix those two times, so if there's another option I'd love to know. Hopefully I won't need it again, but you never know.... Kimmer

7. dreamspinner3

I took the PC into the shop & it worked fine, so it must have been my monitor. I bought a new one.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/59905

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice