1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

display problem

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by 12volt, Feb 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. 12volt

12volt Thread Starter

ok. sorry about that. thought it would be easier the other way. I can't get my display to change from 2/16 to 256 colors.

12volt

2. arty62

arty62

cliick on clear area of desktop....choose properties, then settings....make your adjustment.......rt

3. Cowboy622

Cowboy622

I'm assuming you tried the display> properties> and it wouldn't let you make the change.

Usually this means that your video driver is corrupted and you need an updated diver. If you know the video card manufacturer, you should go to their website and down load the most current driver for it and install it. This usually fixes the problem.

I had a similar problem when I put in a new video card. I used the disk that came with it to provide the drivers and they were already obsolete. Even then, I downloaded newer drivers and still couldn't get it out of 16 colors. I took the video card out and tried to return it and was told that after you have the video card in, most current drivers downloaded, you need to change the adapter refresh rate. For some reason the adapter refresh rate defaults to "unknown" and as long as that's what it is set at you can't get out of 16 colors. I took the card home, reinstalled it and darn if it wasn't true. I changed the adapter refresh from "unknown" to "adapter default". apply>reboot; then changed it from "adapter default" to "optimal" and apply,
    reboot. (You have to do this in increments because if you go from "unknown" to "optimal" it defaults back to "unknown". Try right clicking on desktop>properties> settings tab> advanced button> adapter tab and change it if on "unknown". Just worth a try. But keep in mind that you may need updated drivers from maker's web site.
    If you have onboard video, you may need the chipset drivers for your motherboard.

4. 12volt

12volt Thread Starter

We have done everything we know to do to get our pixel back to 800 x 600. But it's not working. We went to the cirrus logic site and downloaded drivers. Installed them, restarted and it still didn't solve the problem. We may not be doing something right. I even went to set-up and disabled the mother board display adaptor. Someone had put a video card in it. So on start up the computer wants to find the standard settings instead of the card.
    This is probaly very simple but we must be doing something wrong.

Thanks, 12volt

5. arty62

arty62

12volt...you might try this...Control Panel>Display>settings>advanced>change......Now display list of all drivers...pick yours click "have disk" Browse to folder where yours resides....when file found ok...next...finish close...restart your new drivers should be installed. go to Display>settings >advanced...click adapter tab, Optimal in refresh box. Also, make sure on settings page that monitor 1 is highlighted......rt

6. 12volt

12volt Thread Starter

we have tried everything we know and all the advice we have been given. The only thing we haven't done is taken the video card out. But we have downloaded drivers for it and it still won't take. We have disabled the one in the mother board (vga.drv,*vdd) so it would pick the other one up but that didn't work either. We have a cirrus logic video card and have the drivers for it, but it still will not comply with the new settins. It gives us an illegal operation window on several things we try to do.
    The advice arty62 gave was good but we couldn't find one of the settings he mentioned. Is our only option reformating?

12volt

7. arty62

arty62

12 vplt...I had exact same problem 3 days ago...finally resolved AFTER I discovered that the drivers downloaded from NVidia were NOT for my machine (Although I got them from proper spot!) Resolved when I got new drivers from Hercules (manufacturer) in lieu of the nvidia(Chipmaker) What setting you unable to find? If optimal, its in the box on display adapter page of display properties.....rt

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/116533

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice