1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Display problems - Horizontal gray lines

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by abinns1, Sep 18, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. abinns1

abinns1 Thread Starter

I have been using a Hewlett Packard 8575C PC with a Avitron AV-7TF Display for the past two years with no display problems. Last week, I began to experience gray horizontal lines across the screen. These are particulary dense behind writing or graphics and can be seen in all software applications and web pages. I am running Win98. I have tried making changes to the Display Settings but nothing changes. In Safe Mode, the lines are still visible though more difficult to see since the resolution is different.

Any ideas how to help?

Thanks.
    A.

2. Rockn

Rockn

If it looks better in asfe mode I would suggest trying different updated drivers. Safe mode uses a standard VGA driver. Once the driver is set up try and change the refresh rate to 75 or optimal.

3. abinns1

abinns1 Thread Starter

I'm really going to show off my ignorance here, but where would I get updated drivers? Should I try out the KDS site since they manufactured my display or the HP site since they manufactured my systems unit? Also, how do I change the refresh rate?

Thanks for your quick response.

Ann

4. brianF

brianF

Here is the updated video driver for your system
    http://www.hp.com/cgi-bin/cposupport/swindex.pl?p=hppavilion18975&l=en&c=DriverVideo

Installation instructions are provided.

As far as refresh rate go to start/settings/control panel/display/settings tab/advanced button/adapter tab, in the option box about the middle of the page is it set to optimal or adapter default. Either way, if adapter default, change to optimal, if optimal, change to adapter default.

After that go to the monitor tab, is your monitor type detected correctly

5. KimPerry

KimPerry

I have an HP8776C Pavilion that isn't even a yr old. All of a sudden, gray lines started appearing across the screen just as abinnsi described. I actually thought my monitor was broken. So I just bought an NEC 1530V 15" flat panel and the problem is still there. I have no idea how to get rid of the lines!:confused: I've tried altering the Display Settings, but that doesn't help. Do I really need to concentrate on the driver?

6. brianF

brianF

Try new drivers, if that doesn't work you may want to try the video card in another machine, it could be the card is faulty.

7. KimPerry

KimPerry

Brian, thank you so much for the speedy post. I will look into possibly replacing a faulty video card. Of all things that I've tried to troubleshoot, this makes the most sense.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/53589

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice