1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Display problems while running original "Fallout" game

Discussion in 'Games' started by SgtWhistlebotom, Nov 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SgtWhistlebotom

SgtWhistlebotom Thread Starter

My 360 is on the fritz so I've been checking out some older PC games through Steam. I bought the "Fallout Collection" and am playing through the first one but there are display problems. Every now and then, the colors on the screen will change drastically, going to pinks, blues, and teals. I've used to screen shot function in the game during these times, and the shots display no problems, which leads me to think it's something with the monitor/video card. I'd be grateful if anyone can help me fix this, I'd really like to enjoy this game.

Things I've tried, but to no avail:
    -Running it in 256 colors
    -Steam won't let me run it in compatibility mode.

I have an Inspiron E1505 running XP 32bit.
    Vide Card:
    Driver: Mobile Intel(R) 945GM Express Chipset Family
    DirectX Driver Name: ialmrnt5.dll
    Driver Version: 6.14.10.4446
    DirectX Driver Version: 6.14.10.4446
    Driver Date: 13 Dec 2005
    Desktop Color Depth: 32 bits per pixel
    Monitor Refresh Rate: 60 Hz
    DirectX Card: Mobile Intel(R) 945GM Express Chipset Family

2. Daveskater

Daveskater

This is usually called artifacts or artifacting, it is because of the graphics card. Basically you are using a graphics chipset built into your motherboard which is only really cut out for basic tasks and the odd video. The game is too intensive for your graphics chipset so it is causing this problem.

If you buy a third party graphics card, then you will not have this problem any more, so long as it's up to running the game. Also it is best not to keep making this happen otherwise you risk damaging the graphics chipset.

3. SgtWhistlebotom

Thanks for the help. I find it odd that you say the game is too intensive for the card because I'm running the original Max Payne, KOTOR, Fable, GTA3, Fate, and even the more recent Torchlight and I never have any problems with those. Is it because my card knows how to handle those but not the older games?

4. Daveskater

Daveskater

Generally artifacting will occur when the graphics chipset overheats, which will happen if it is overloaded with something that is too intense for it. The graphics settings on those other games might be set lower than what you have Fallout on, for example.

5. SgtWhistlebotom

Changing the settings is usually the first thing I do, but the original "Fallout" does not have those options. According to Steam, the requirements for the graphics are: SVGA with any DirectX and 90Mhz or faster processor. Though possibly false, I had read that any computer recently made has SVGA capabilities. I think I'm just a little confused as to why my computer can run 3D games but it's having trouble running pre-rendered sprites.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/877584

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice