Display problems?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Danhod63

Hi,

I have a Philips X54 running Windows XP Pro, which I have owned since Summer 2006.
1.66GHz Centrino Duo. nvidia geforce GO7400 graphics.

A couple of months ago, the screen started to flicker, going completely black for a second and then returning to the normal screen for around 10 seconds before repeating.
I rebooted and windows ran fine, but the display had a box of feint vertical lines around the mouse cursor and in different areas if the screen, then the black screens returned and it crashed.

Upon the next reboot the display was completely jumbled, with almost every letter replaced by something different, with lots of zeros. This continued with each reboot, and upon entering the BIOS, the problem was the same. Occasionally it got as far as the windows loading screen, and sometimes onto the logon screen. But even here the graphics were messed up, resulting in a freeze and then a crash or me turning off the laptop.

I gave up on the problem for a while after considering it a graphics card problem and for the hassle and expense of repair was going to buy a new laptop.
However I decided a couple of days ago to run the recovery dvd created when I got the laptop (as i had lost it and it turned up when cleaning out). The first attempt, in which i tried to retain all of my files in a partition, failed, and so i carried out a full destructive format, and the laptop started normally. I am now up and running on the laptop, but earlier on today the screen began to flicker black again!! I rebooted and changed the hardware acceleration to none, and so far no problems, but I was wondering if anyone could shed any light on this problem, as i have no idea what's going on, and really hope it doesn't die on me completely again.

On another note, and I'm not sure if these are linked, I have a problem with my battery or recharging as after around 15 minutes of having the battery in whilst also plugged into the mains, the battery recharge light begins to flash as though i have low battery. At this point if the mains power is removed the laptop turns off. However if instead the battery is removed at this stage and then put back in, the light returns to normal, and the battery status reads as having charge (usually anything from 15% - 50%). I am unsure as to whether this is a battery or recharge circuit problem?

Finally, the screen has a permanent vertical line approximately 2 'pixels' wide running down the whole of the screen about 1 inch from the side. It is white, and when the screen casing is pinched at the top of this line, it changes colour and sometimes disappears, until pressure is released, any ideas as to what this could be?

Thanks very much in advance for any help, advice or ideas anyone can offer.

Dan

Laptops are notorious difficult to diagnose/repair. I suggest taking it to a repair shop to look at it. No amount of fiddling or DIY fixes is going to solve this in the short term.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online