1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Display properties error!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Jbray, Jan 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jbray

Jbray Thread Starter

I need a little help if possible. When I right click the desktop and bring up display properties and try to change the desktop theme I am getting an error after hitting apply.
    I get the screen that pops up that says please wait. Then a data execution prevention window pops up. It reads " To protect your computer Windows has closed this program.
    Name: Run a DLL as an App, publisher: Microsoft Corporation.
    I then click on close message then another window pops up that says "Run DLL as an APP has encountered a problem and needs to close. Then it asks if I want to send an error report. When I click no the window closes. I have sent the rror report and do not continue each time this pops up.
    No other themes other than Win XP, Windows Classic and Microsoft Plus which has Aquarium, Space, DaVinci and Nature are installed.
    The same thing happens when I try to change colors under display properties. I can change wallpaper without an issue.
    I would appreciate any help. Thanks!

2. Jbray

Jbray Thread Starter

Does anyone have any idea to correct this?

3. Iceworx

Iceworx

Start > Run > sfc /scannow

System file checker. ( Have your xp disk availble for if it asks you )

I would also try
    Start > Run > chkdsk
    Afterwards.

4. Jbray

Jbray Thread Starter

Tried that and it is still the same. Thanks though!

5. 1101doc

1101doc

Of course, is accessed through System Properties>Performance-Settings>DEP Tab. If the radio button for "Turn on DEP for essential......only" is already marked, try selecting the other and then creating an exception list. Curious as to why this would become necessary, however.

6. Jbray

Jbray Thread Starter

Thanks you two for the suggestions but the problem is resolved. I did go through all the DEP settings 1101doc. No matter what I did the result was the same. I finally just did a WIndows XP repair and all is back to normal with nothing lost. Near as I can figure it had to be a rundll corruption and if that is the case then the repair fixed it.

7. 1101doc

1101doc

Glad to hear you got it sorted. Thanks for letting us know.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/536656

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice