1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

"Display Properties" window very slow in coming up, why?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by rzc7, Jun 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rzc7

rzc7 Thread Starter

When I right-click on my desktop and click on "Properties", it takes approximately 7 minutes for the "Display Properties" window to come up. I have the same response time issue when I click on Settings->Control Panel->Display.

I've done some analysis and discovered that when I perform this action only the following process is launched:

"C:\WINNT\system32\rundll32.exe" shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL desk.cpl

However, I am unable to determine why it is taking so long.

I downloaded and installed the new video drivers for my Dell Latitude C610 yesterday afternoon. Since then I have rebooted my machine. I am running Windows 2000. At the time I ran the test this morning, I attempted to minimize the number of processes running on my machine. Before I tried to display the "Display Properties" window, the processes running on my system were:
    processes before

After I right-clicked on my desktop and clicked on Properties, the processes running on my system were:
    processes after

What steps can I take to determine why it is taking over five minutes for the "Display Properties" window to appear?

Thank you.

2. DFC

DFC

Did this start after loading the new drivers?

3. rzc7

rzc7 Thread Starter

I have been experiencing this problem for a long time. I know I've been having this problem for at least six months, maybe over a year. I am unable to pinpoint when it started and I am not sure what to look at. In the distant past I was running PaintShopPro from a network drive. At some point the application was removed from the network. I have a vague feeling that the problem is related to this situation. I searched thru the registry for references to PaintShopPro and removed them. This solved one other problem that I was having (when I right-clicked on an image file the content window was very slow in appearing), but it doesn't seem to have helped this problem.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/235953

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice