1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

display properties

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by debbies59, Mar 31, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. debbies59

debbies59 Thread Starter

i just reinstalled winxp pro and i cannot get it 2 let me change the screen resolution settings it is staying at 16 bit,,what do i need to do,,also it did not reload a lot of my drivers??

2. rude

rude

You hit the nail on the head,you need to re-install your display drivers.Windows Update will have some drivers ,but you should go to your hardware manufacturer's websites and download updated ones if you can.

Also,have you installed all of Microsoft's updates,some of your problems will be solved with SP1 and the updates.

3. debbies59

debbies59 Thread Starter

well im not exactly sure what drivers i need,,the screen is too big,,colors are not right,,says 4 bit,,and it wont let me change my monitor,,and i have 3 conflicts in hardware,,maybe you can tell me what i need..l.
    multimedia audio controller
    sm bus controller
    video controller (vga)
    im not sure where to look for manufactures or who they are?? thankls

4. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    James
    You will need to install the right monitor first. In Device Manager, try to install SVGA 800x600 Monitor (or default monitor). Restart and you should be able to change the resolution.

As for the make of the graphics card, try running DXDIAG (Start > Run > type 'dxdiag'). When it finishes loading, go to Display tab and it should tell you there.

5. Couriant

First Name:
    James
    Actually do you know if your motherboard has the sound and graphics card onboard? If so then you will need to go to the manufacturer of the motherboard to install the correct drivers.

6. debbies59

debbies59 Thread Starter

Im not sure about that but it willnot let me install any monitor and the device mgr says default monitor,,nowhere will it allow me to install a monitor,,this is an hp pavillion 513n if that helps any??

7. debbies59

debbies59 Thread Starter

ok,,finally got screen res and color correct,,now i need drivers for multimeda audio controller and sm bus controller,,any idea what this is??

8. Couriant

First Name:
    James
    It should be on HP's website if the audio card is onboard.

Actually You should point the installation of the drivers to the CAB files that HP has installed in the second partition (system recovery)

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/216422

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice