1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

display properties

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by redz, Dec 21, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. redz

redz Thread Starter

Does anyone know how to sort this little hiccup out, i have reinstalled over and over again.....help:confused:

Attached Files:

2. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

I am not sure. One place to start is to rename desk.cpl to old desk.cpl and then extract a fresh copy from your install disk or the cabs if you have them on the hard drive to C:\windows\system

You didn't say which version of windows you use. If you need instructions on extracting, post back.

Second step, is to boot to Safe Mode and remove your Video Card from Device Manager, Reboot to windows it will be reinstalled. If you have a special Driver disk you may need that.

If you need help on this step, post back.

3. redz

redz Thread Starter

I tried to do the second option you suggested and found this problem......I can't access the devices, o yeah I'm using win 98 se.

It just seems to get worse:( never had any probs with the Sinclair zx81:D

Attached Files:

4. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

There may be some system restrictions which have removed those tabs. Go to start, run regedit and navigate to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System

Look for and delete any unwanted restrictions in the right hand pane by right clicking on them and either delete or modify the value to zero.

http://members.aol.com/axcel216/newtip9.htm

5. redz

redz Thread Starter

Hello m8

I followed your instructions and when i got to POLICIES there was no system, all i have got is NETWORK and RATINGS. :confused: gulp

6. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    I'm not real confident this will fix it but it's worth a shot extracting a new copy of Desk.cpl like Mosiac suggested earlier. I suspect your going to need to reinstall the video card drivers but try this first and see what happens.

First click on Start>Find>Files, key in desk.cpl and press enter. Once it's found rename it to desk.old

Now insert your W98 CD. Then click on Start>Programs>MSDosPrompt. Then at the DOS prompt, assuming your CDRom drive is the letter "D", type in the following command and press enter.

extract /a d:\win98\base4.cab deskw95.cpl /L c:\windows\system

Once it's extracted, click on Start>Find>Files, key in deskw95.cpl and press enter. Once it's found, rename it desk.cpl

Now try accessing the display properties. If it's still blank then I'd try reinstalling the video card drivers.

7. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

NoDevMgrPage can also be found in this registry key

HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System

Try to find it there.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/62528

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice