1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Display randomly shuts off and doesn't come back on when gaming.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by XeNIKusGreekus, Jun 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. XeNIKusGreekus

XeNIKusGreekus Thread Starter

As the title suggests, this problem started happening when I upgraded from my GTX 770 to my GTX 970. Yes, my temps are fine on my CPU(51C max) and Graphics Card(74C max). The only other thing I could think off would be a power supply issue, but I have a 750WT power supply, and the GTX 970 is SUPPOSED to be much more power efficient than the GTX 770. I've gone in my PC and tested the cord connections, all seems well. Maybe I need to increase the power limit on EVGA Precision? I have always kept it at 100%... I just cannot think what could be the problem.... Thanks for your help in advance! I desperately want to get to the bottom of this...

My specs are as follows:
    MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ AMD 990FX + SB950 6 x SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
    PSU: CORSAIR CX series CX750M 750W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply
    RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Memory Kit Model CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9R
    GPU: EVGA 04G-P4-2974-KR GeForce GTX 970 4GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 SLI Support Superclocked ACX 2.0
    CPU: AMD FX-8350 Black Edition Vishera 8-Core 4.0GHz (4.2GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ 125W FD8350FRHKBOX Desktop Processor

P.S.
    I have not overclocked my GPU, but have enabled turbo boost for my CPU using AMD overdrive...

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    The GeForce GTX 770 uses 230 watts and the GeForce GTX 970 uses 145 watts, so you're correct in that assumption. (y)

Both recommend a maximum temperature of 98 degrees C, so yours is within the limit. (y)

I'm not a hardware expert nor a gamer, so my input here is very limited.

crjdriver and Triple6 and Tanis and some of the others here can better help you.

----------------------------------------------------------

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1149865

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice