Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Display resolution changes

991 views 11 replies 3 participants last post by  jazz3000 
#1 ·
I am working on an HP 552W with a Pent 4 XP home system. It has 1Mb ram and 2.0 ghz proc. Every time I set the resolution to 1024 x 768, it doesn't keep the setting... Is My video card the problem? What do I need to check? Thanks

#4 ·
It is now set as 800 X 600...when I change it to 1024 x 768, it reverts to 640 x 480.....then I can set it back to 800 x 600...That would be ok, but I am getting some distortion and garbled display on some programs. In device mgr., it shows no problems on the SiS650 display adapter(PCI bus 1, dev 0, func 0) I don't really understand that...I thought all systems had video cards...

#6 ·
i think you mean it came with 256mB when you got it because to run XP you need at least 64mB and you can not run anything else aswell on that little.

when you change your resolution to 1024*768, does it first change to the resolution you want for a split second and then to 640*800 or straight to 640*800?

#7 ·
The old Dos machines are set up on 256k? How old is your system?
Is this an upgraded system? What programs are you running on your system and is it possible there is one you use more often than another? In other words is it reverting because your using an application that is actually written in the old resolution? Jazz

#8 ·
Yes, Sub you are right....sorry...also, this is a 4 y/o system.
To all: I installed a new virus software program and yesterday ran two scans and it found a virus... this morning, I changed the display to 1024 x 768 and it workes great...I will run it all day and see if this continues...I will advise...Thanks for your help.

#12 ·
Have you tried deleting and reinstalling the drivers and monitor? You may well have said in a post but missed it.
It sounds like your system under your OS is rolling back the drivers to a standard setting, more than likely the one the driver prefers. If the OS and the hardware are not compatible you will run into issues like these.
If you can't find an updated driver on your motherboards manufactures website, it may be you will need to replace on-board video with pci or AGP if the mobo will allow. In other words Sub's solution is probably the best. Jazz

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.