display screwed up

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.
C

chewie1012

I have an ati all in wonder agp card. I have been having trouble getting the computer to show video at start up. No video what so ever. Then now when I shut it down and restart it the display is kind of red. Any ideas? Do you think I need to reload my video drivers. The problem seems to orginate in The post.

What kind of monitor are you using. How old is the monitor. Depending on this, your monitor may not be able to support the vidoe card.

C

chewie1012

It is only maybe two years old and it has worked before. I think I am going to try and reinstall the drivers.

I'm confused, is this a new video card or an old card that you are now only recently having problems with?

C

chewie1012

It is six months old now. A few weeks ago I was trying to get my dvd player to play without being jumpy. I downloaded the via 4 in 1 drivers and got it to work. Shortly after I turn my computer on sometimes and it doesn't recognize my video. I get nothing and then yesterday I was getting a rose colored screen even at the bios screen everything was rose colored. I have a dual boot system and I uninstalled the video drivers on my c: drive and tried to reinstall them. They didn't go install right. I don't have rose colored screen anymore though. Its kind of weird because with a dual boot system which video drivers is it using at start up before you get to the boot screen?

C

chewie1012

Does anyone know where the display drivers come from when your looking at the bios screen. Some of the time my display won't work at all. I have a dual boot system and I am not sure where to start on my C: drive or my D: drive

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Hi Chewie, since the computer is just starting, it isn't calling to an operating system yet, which is why you get display without a hard drive installed as well. I would tend to think your problem is more video card related than operating system. Do you have another video card to try?

Or maybe try opening the computer and reseating the card.

C

chewie1012

I did open up the computer and the card was seated very well. I also have a dvd decoder card. My video passes through this card. I am curious. This didn't start happening until I loaded the via 4 in 1 drivers. Do you think this might have had something to do with it? Or do they not load until after windows loads. The problem occurs in the first ten seconds of start up. I don't have another video card to try. I should get one just to have. It seems like I have had a lot of video related problems. If you look over my posts most of my troubles have been video related. Does video cause a lot of problems usually. I have built several systems and have had a problem with the systems starting up and shutting down and restarting just before the icons load. All of those systems had ati rage fury cards and sound blaster live value sound cards. I have a sound blaster live value but an ati all in wonder pro video card.

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
What happens if you just run the video card staight? Without going thru the DVD decoder?

C

chewie1012

Acacandy
I took the decoder card out. I let the computer sit over night. This morning when I tried to start my computer nothing happened (no display). Of course when I shut it down and restarted it voila display is there. Where to next?

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
So now, without the decoder card, the computer will start normally and you have video all the way through to the desktop?

C

chewie1012

No the computer is still doing the same thing. When it is cold and I turn it on..... Nothing. I push the power button in until the cpu powers off and then I turn it on again and I have normal operations.

C

chewie1012

AcaCandy
I have just taken out the video card and put it back in. I let the computer sit for a while and pushed the power button. No video. Turned it off and turned it on and I have video. Turned it off and turned it on and no video. I called the place I bought it from and they said they didn't think it was the card. (Big Surprise) They did say they would exchange it at the next computer show though.

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
I don't think it's the card either....as a matter of fact on a computer I built from scratch, every once in awhile I have the same problem, turn it on, monitor lights flash like x-mas, no video, turn it off, turn it back on, monitor is recognized and computer boots up. I've been too lazy to tear the machine apart to see what more I can mess up in the process :D

Does your start up give your cpu information as well? Jeesh, maybe we can work on both of our problems :cool:

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online