1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Display settings all FUBAR in Vista.

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by obyone, Oct 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. obyone

obyone Thread Starter

I have a brand new HP Laptop (literally 5 days old) and the display settings are all effed up. Vista boots in regular display mode (when it has that MS picture and the progress bar showing its booting) but when Vista actually loads, my display will go to, what I think is 640x480 with 16 colors.…If I boot in safe mode, I’ll get 800x600 with full color.

I’ve tried uninstalling the display driver and was then able to boot normally in 1024x768 full color with no display driver installed. As soon as I reinstall it and reboot, BAM! Same thing happens. Trying a system restore from a previous point was no help.

This all began when I tried running X-Com: UFO Defense (an old school game) in win98 compat. Mode with 640x480 only. When the game didn’t work, I tried a Ctrl-Alt-Delete to cancel the game (which works with any other version of windows I tried this game on) and it brought me to where I am now.

What I hate is that I can bring up the Display Settings dialog box, but I can’t see enough on my screen to move the slider and change the settings.

Specs:
    Turion TL-58
    2 GB Ram
    Geforce Go 7150m

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You are not booting normally with no display driver; it is using a native MS driver.

Here is what I would do.
    1 Uninstall the game
    2 Reinstall your chipset/mb driver
    3 Now download and install the video driver.

Just out of curiosity, what does it say when you run dxdiag?

3. obyone

obyone Thread Starter

Game needs no installation. I just copied the entire folder to a drive and run the exe. No install or uninstall needed since the game probably dates back to pre-95.

BTW...how can I run dx diag when I cant see anything on the screen? Anyway you know of moving windows around when you cant reach the top bar?

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Gee even in safe mode I can run dxdiag.

5. obyone

obyone Thread Starter

Oh it will run, but it displays N/A for everything in the display settings. And this is even after uninstalling and reinstalling Nforce and Geforce go drivers.

BTW...funny har har...:cool:

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

Use "Cascade Windows" or another right-click on the Taskbar option to get those window tops.

Try installing your driver and then going into Safe Mode to adjust settings.

7. obyone

obyone Thread Starter

Cascade works to switch between windows. It's just that, due to the resolution and color provided, the windows are roughly 2 to 3 times the size of my screen real estate. In safe mode, everything is more reasonable but the display settings cannot be changed. The only options are 800x600 and 1024x768, but my screen has a native res of 1280x720...iirc.

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

If you change it to 1024x768 in Safe Mode, does that resolution hold for normal mode so you can then get to the display settings?

(Cascade was only meant to help you grab some windows and not to solve any of the real problem.)

9. mrss

mrss Guest

It's the easy way out, and you won't learn how to resolve this issue, but f it's only 5 days old, maybe not much is lost if you restore from the recovery partition?

10. obyone

obyone Thread Starter

Can't change it.

It's an option, but that doesn't mean that it will make the change. Spoke with HP. They're not the sharpest knives in the drawer if you know what I'm saying. Their suggestion was a full restore too. Looks like all work from the past few days is gone.

Rats! :mad:

11. Elvandil

Elvandil

Can you see enough on the screen to remove the display drivers? Try removing them in Safe Mode.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!