1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Display Settings, etc are all screwy

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by jediliz, May 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jediliz

jediliz Thread Starter

(admin - move if necessary)

I recently took my computer to a shop that had a maintenance checkup special. When I took it in, my display settings were fine and the colors were fine. Yesterday when my dad hooked the computer back up, my display was resized all weird like and I only had the option of 32 or 16 colors. And my norton protected recycle bin was empty even though the guy who personally worked on my computer said he did NOT empty it.

Also my menu with all my installed programs after I got to start ---> all programs is screwed up (I think this has to do with the display).

Does anyone have any suggestions for how I can get my computer back to normal? I don't really care that much about the recycle bin files (nothing remotely important) but I thought that Norton protection is supposed to protect files and help undelete them if deleted......

Also, is it possible for spyware to get into the windows operating system folder? I did the "home" edition of the maintenance checkup from this local business and it worried me that it found "spyware" in windows folders! (At least I think it was the WINDOWS folders) :eek: So far, it seems okay.........I can boot up fine. But it freaked me out.

So, what I have wrong is my display on my desktop is screwed up - when I booted up yesterday all my icons were all over the screen and some were hidden because I think the desktop had been resized to like 1024x860. I removed some icons into the unused desktop icons folder earlier today.

And my colors are only 32 and 16. This doesn't make sense to me because I am sure there is a 256 color option.........

I have WINDOWS XP Home Edition
    Computer is about 2 years old
    Its a DELL.

2. norton850

norton850

256 colors would be 8 bit and these days it's fairly common for that not to be available only 16 and 32. Not really sure what your video problem is. Is it just the resolution has changed and everything looks small or is it something else. Sometimes a resolution change will scatter or rearrange desktop icons.

3. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

I think you will find that the colour options are 16 bits and 32 bits, both of which are much higher and better than 256 colours, which is 8 bits.

Can you confirm this?

4. jediliz

jediliz Thread Starter

my resolution was the highest possible when I took it in and somehow between monday around noon (when I took it in) and yesterday when I picked it up (it was actually done monday afternoon, but I didn't pick it up until yesterday) the resolution (desktop sizing) was messed up. I don't know HOW it happened......is my problem.

My mom wants me to call the place tomorrow and see if they can help me fix it........

edit: i called my dad and he has only 32 and 16 for the color bit options on his XP computer. So, I was probably thinking of my old Windows 98 computer.

5. norton850

norton850

Have you tried to go into your display properties and changed the resolution to whatever you want?

6. jediliz

jediliz Thread Starter

I have it on the highest resolution, but it seems like the icons are still taking up a lot of room even though I removed many icons using the "unused desktop icons" wizard. I had left my computer on standby last night not wanting to shut it off, but earlier today shut it off because of rain (actually before the rain). When I turned it back on, the resolution was messed up to where the icons are barely seen and you have to remove some to see the ones that were "hidden".

7. jediliz

jediliz Thread Starter

Okay, I really feel like a dork - I got the problem solved. There was a problem with the fonts size in the advanced options in the display options. So, its all fixed. You can mark this as resolved now.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/365613

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice