display settings in "normal" mode in win98

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

nmm

for some unknown reason, one day win 98 decided to stop working properly. when i turn on my computer it now asks me if i want to start in normal, safemode, and about 3 other options that i don't remember right now. if i choose to run in "normal," i have reasonable functioning of my computer, but the visual settings are different and unchangeable. for instance, the display runs in 640x480 pixels and only 16 colors. i try to change these settings and restart, but they don't ever hold.
i guess the overall problem is what's wrong with win98, but i've practically given up on trying to fix that....so the next question is, is there a way to have normal display settings (800x600 pixels, and 256 colors) that will stick while running in "normal" mode?

WHen you are in display settings, click the advanced button and select the monitor tab. Make sure you monitor is listed there and if it's not, select a driver for it and install the correct driver. THis is more than likely the problem or at least the one I encounter the most.

To stop the menu window, go to start>run>type msconfig>general tab>click advanced button>uncheck box for start up menu.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online