display settings problem

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

dcarr44

I have a Windows 98 platform and for the last six years it has worked very well. Two days ago, the words and pictures on the screen are really distorted. My research has taken to a problem with my screen settings. I have learned that to correct the problem, I need to go to the display settings screen and slide the little slider thing from the far left, where it is now, to the middle of the scale. Well, it won't move and the screen remains messed up.
Any help is appreciated.

The slider controls the DirectX features and gradually turns them off as you go to the left. I'd say to reinstall DirectX but I'm not sure where you would find a 98 version. There must be one somewhere.

Does everything look OK in Device Manager? Have you tried a different monitor?

Try this:

Tap F8 or press CTRL and keep it pressed until the Start Man appears.

Select Safe Mode and proceed.

Go to Control Panel > System > Device Manager and delete all entries under Display Adapter.

Restart in Normal Mode, letting Windows reinstall the driver and hopefully solve the problem.

Good luck.

Zee

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online