Display settings stuck on 4bit at absolute minimum resolution

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

TiggyBlack

Hello! I found this forum and really hope someone might be able to help me!

I have an old Packard Bell iMedia PC running Windows XP Media Centre edition. About a year ago I started having display problems, the monitor would go black suddenly and then switch back on. This started happening more and more frequently until I was forced to login in safemode, grab all my vital files, and then reinstall windows. This didn't help. After reinstalling the computer developed a new problem, it would start up with the display set to 4bit at 640 resolution and nothing I could do would change that. At this point a friend kindly gave me his old (legal) copy of WIndows XP Professional SP3 as he was migrating to Windows 7 and I used that to repartition my hard drive and reinstall windows. After the install I found my computer worked perfectly again (registration completed successfully), until I restarted it - it got stuck at absolute minimum resolution again.

I have since replaced the harddrive with a Seagate 500gb, once again it worked perfectly until I restarted it where it got stuck at minimum again. I went into the display settings menu and used the troubleshooter, it told me to open the advanced menu and click on monitor tab, but I couldn't access Preferences.

Can anyone help? My computer looks like it's stuck in safemode, though it isn't!

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
See this link
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310353/
Follow the manual procedure ONLY as far as and INCLUDING step 3.
See how it is when it is then in clean boot.

In clean boot go Control Panel, Display and click the settings tab, on colour quality what is shown as available please.

Then go start, right click My Computer, click properties and then the hardware tab, then the device manager button, then expand the entry display adaptor, what is shown please. Is there any warning mark against display adaptor.

TiggyBlack

Thanks, for your help but I've had a bit of a change of circumstances. At the moment the main problem I am having is that my computer lacks a driver for the graphics card. This wouldn't normally be difficult to solve, but the computer in question is a Packard Bell iMedia 5070 with a nameless generic graphics card. :(

Can anyone tell me where I might be able to download the graphics drivers for this computer? I've already checked the drivers section of the Packard Bell support website, but I just can't find the ones for my computer. I also tried googling the model code on the card, but didn't find anything useful.

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Does the monitor connect on the I/O plate that is the plate at the rear of the computer where the mouse, keyboard etc connect if so it is integrated graphics. Alternatively if the monitor connects lower down the case, on a separate area to that then it is a separate graphics card.

Go to this site here
http://www.packardbell.de/pb/en/GB/content/download
Click the link to the right hand side, link to old page.

If you are still having difficulty, do as I asked
Then go start, right click My Computer, click properties and then the hardware tab, then the device manager button, then expand the entry display adaptor, what is shown please. Is there any warning mark against display adaptor
and on the details for the card post what is shown on the details tab under PCI/VEN and also under General tab.

TiggyBlack

It is a proper graphics card, as far as I can tell there isn't any motherboard graphics capability. Device Manager lists a "video controller (VGA compatible)" as "not installed" (code 28) with the usual yellow question mark plus a little exclamation mark. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be any indication of the specific drivers it needs and I can't find an entry called 'display adaptor'. :/

Thank you for the link to the drivers, you've really narrowed down my search, though the Packard Bell list wasn't helpful enough to list by model number!

Frank4d

Retired Trusted Advisor
Double click the yellow ? item in Device Manager and in the Properties window click the Details tab. In the Property dropdown list choose Hardware ids. You should see a text string similar to this: PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_9710&SUBSYS_75491462&REV_00

Paste it here and we can use it to identify the graphics card. Or if you would rather, go to http://pcidatabase.com and type in the PCI vendor (1002 in the above example) and Device (9710 in the above example) to find information about the graphics card. I should caution though, the information there isn't 100% accurate.

TiggyBlack

Ok, I have a feeling that it is going to say it's a GForce 6600 LE though. I already tried that one and had to undo it as they are the wrong drivers. I installed that one and the screen would go black and switch off after the windows logo (still not displaying properly).

PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0163&SUBSYS_34001458&REV_A1\4&1657B0F4&0&0008

*Edit*

Yeah it did..... Is it possible I installed the wrong driver?

TiggyBlack

The Autodetect isn't working, it won't let me give permission to start, and the driver is the same one I installed before....

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
This is your device
0x0163 Chip Number: NV44 Chip Description: NVIDIA GeForce 6200 LE as Frank4d has told you.

The PCI/VEN was what I wanted on my post 4.
and on the details for the card post what is shown on the details tab under PCI/VEN and also under General tab.
The driver you need is this one
http://www.nvidia.co.uk/object/winxp_181.22_whql_uk.html

As you have NOW asked for help on another site - as well as on here
I have a 'Packard Bell iMedia 5070 desktop PC', unfortunately I no longer have the preinstalled graphics card drivers. Is there anyone who could direct me to a place where I can download them? They are not listed on the main Packard Bell website.

Thanks in advance!

1 Person had
this question
TiggyBlack
Please do post HERE on this site, either indicating that you no longer require help HERE, or whatever is appropriate in the circumstances.
Good Luck with it.

TiggyBlack

I'd rather have help from this one, but really I need all the help I can get....

I tried the driver but it seems to have the same effect as the other one, I restart the computer, it gets past the Windows startup screen and then goes black and the monitor goes to standby. :(

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
See if it will load in VGA mode which is on key F8 with the Safe Mode options

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Now go to Device Manager and see if the warnings are still there for the devices.

TiggyBlack

The Question mark has vanished and now I have "NVIDIA Gforce 6200 LE" listed under Display Adaptors. It says it's 'working perfectly' but scaling up the resolution stops the computer working immediately. The 'Multimedia Controller' is still question marked, but I dunno what that does.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online