1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

display settings

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by lolobeen, Oct 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lolobeen

lolobeen Thread Starter

I am running Windows 98 and my display settings won't hold. I have them set at 800 x 600 pixels for screen size and everything is huge and I can't get a whole window to fit the screen. Whay isn't it holding my settings?

2. sleekluxury

sleekluxury

Im not sure why it does that either, it does that sometimes on my old computer too, i guess its because the monitor can't support it or something, but it dont hold on all compueters, your sure your hitting Ok or Apply right, not cancel, but yeah otherwise im not sure why. maybe someone else know... Hey anyone help here please!!!!

3. bicycle bill

bicycle bill Banned

Try this. Right click the desktop>properties>settings>advanced and check "show settings icon on taskbar" Then you will have a choice of several settings.

4. pc_rej_pc

pc_rej_pc

Change your "screen resolution" to "1024 by 768" and "color quality" to the highest value. Restart computer. Upon restart, if icons are still the same. You need to reinstall video drivers. If reinstalling video drivers will not work, reseat the video card if it is not integrated to the motherboard. Go to your "system setup" and reload defaults. If this does not work then the problem could be your video card or the AGP slot where the video card is inserted and if the video is integrated to motherboard then motherboard needs to be replaced.

5. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Lolobeen:

Go into the display properties settings tab, set the color palette to 16-bit high color(32-bit true color is not needed), apply the change, then reboot your computer.

Go back into the display properties settings tab, set the resolution to 1024 X 768, then apply the change.

See if the resolution keeps its same setting now.

If this does not work, go to the website for your make and model of display adapter/video card, then download and install any updated video drivers for it.

By the way, what make, model, and model number computer do you have, and what make and model display adapter/video card do you have?

Frank's Windows 95/98 Tips

6. Cowboy622

Cowboy622

I had a similar problem when I put in a new video card. I used the disk that came with it to provide the drivers and they were already obsolete. Even then, I downloaded newer drivers and still couldn't get it out of 16 colors.
    I took the video card out and tried to return it and was told that after you have the video card in, most current drivers downloaded, you need to change the adapter refresh rate. For some reason the adapter refresh rate defaults to "unknown" and as long as that's what it is set at you can't get out of 16 colors. I took the card home, reinstalled it and darn if it wasn't true. I changed the adapter refresh from "unknown" to "adapter default". apply and reboot; then changed it from "adapter default" to "optimal" and apply, reboot. (You have to do this in increments because if you go from "unknown" to "optimal" it defaults back to "unknown". Try right clicking on desktop> properties> settings tab> advanced button> adapter tab and change it if on "unknown". Just worth a try. But keep in mind that you may need updated drivers from maker's web site.

I don't know why but periodically, by refresh rate becomes corrupted and ends up on "unknown" . Sometimes I find a computer which won't go all the way to "optimal" but on those, everything works on "adpater default". Just something to try.

7. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    The "Default" or "Optimum" setting isn't always the best. I have mine set to 85 Hz. You just have to play around with the refresh rate until you find what works best for you.

Frank's Windows 95/98 Tips

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/170587

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice