1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

display settings

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by truckboss, Jan 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. truckboss

truckboss Thread Starter

hello, i have a sony vaio desktop pc, its a pcv-r522ds running windows 98.
    i cannot change the display settings and i also noticed that on bootup its shows my display adapter but it keeps changing the port location,like 220-22f, next boot its 240-24f, does that make a difference?
    i read on here to replace the drivers for the display adapter but i cant find what i need, its either a bunch of ads that go nowhere or illegal download. my display adapter is an (ati rage 128 vr sd agp 2x )( file version 4.11.6118) everything i check shows the adapter and tells about it like in properties,under adapter it says: ati rage vr sd agp 2x
    manufacturer: ati tech-enhanced
    software version 4.00
    current files:ati2draa.drv*,vdd*,vflatd,ati2 vxaa.vxd.

any help would be appreciated.

2. bonk

bonk Banned

Welcome,

As this is a laptop you have to go to Sony website to get your Drivers for that PC.

Not sure where your from so you can start here

3. truckboss

truckboss Thread Starter

thanks for replying, its a desktop pc. i tried sony's site and nothing on there i can use, everything i find tells about it but i cant find the drivers i need, i found it on ati's site and started to download and it popped up this is an illegal download.

4. bonk

bonk Banned

Understood.......

Don't know why I thought it was a laptop

try this

go to Device Manager

To get to Device Manager click Start>>Run type devmgmt.msc click OK

Look down the list for Display Adapters
    Click on the + sign to expand
    Double click on your Video card
    Click on driver tab
    Uninstall driver

Restart your PC

Also you can try these drivers here http://www.majorgeeks.com/ATI_Catalyst_Drivers_For_Windows_98Me_d4037.html

ever thought of ungrading to XP

5. truckboss

truckboss Thread Starter

thanks for the reply bonk, got it working:D you mentioned upgrading to xp, can i do that on my system and whats involved?

6. bonk

bonk Banned

Yes you can....not sure how much memory you have but if you have 256mb or more that's fine.

To do so you would have to purchase a CD with XP Home or XP Pro.

7. 1069

As Bonk says 256Mb will be OK - but that is all. It is the bare minimum required to run XP and it will not be quick. You will find that the more you have running in the startup the slower it gets.

I would advise at least 512Mb.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/537853

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice