1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

display stuck /no modem detected

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by beckarooski, Sep 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. beckarooski

beckarooski Thread Starter

ughhhh... i have a compaq presario windows ME... it recently stopped working (again) where windows will only load in safe mode... so since this happens frequently... i decided this time i would take it into the shop, to see what they thought. before it had just magically started working correctly again, and one other time i used my factory restore cd. so.. the guys thought that reformatting was the idea, so since i had done this before, i brought it home to restore myself. so, i did the factory restore.. with that handy lil cd :-\ and.... when it was over, and restarted and such... my display was stuck at 640x480 with 16 colors... and i am unable to change it. it said it may need updating, so i tried to set up my connection...but its not finding my modem, so i tried to manually set it up.. and it wants me to select port, i ad no idea, i tried both of them.. not working. sooo i tried to hook up the cable modem that i have, which works, but disconnects often... it wont even connect. :( sooo.. should i go spend $40 and let the guys restore it? and hope it works?? or any other suggestions? its about 2 1/2 years old... thanks for any input...

2. walkeriam

walkeriam

Your very first problem (before the shop) sounds like the driver for your video/display adapter needed updated. Since you restored your computer, it sounds like the video/display adapter still needs an updated driver, but you erased your internet connection settings when you recovered. Since I do not know what ISP (Internet Service Provider) you have and what their settings should be set at, I suggest you contact them and ask them to help you set up your internet connection. Unless they gave you some kind of documentation when they installed it, which would tell you step by step how to do it?

Please let me know if I am understanding your dilemma correctly.

3. beckarooski

yes, it did need updating.. before the problem begane last november.. but every update i got didnt change it.... my isp is my local phone company which is CenturyTel... but wouldnt my cable modem work even if my dial up didnt??
    thanks

4. walkeriam

walkeriam

Are you updating it with the correct driver for that adapter?

I believe you have different settings for cable service that you must have erased when recovering. In that case your cable modem ISP should be able to help you get connected.

5. beckarooski

i cant update it this time, cause i cannot get online.. i know how to set up my connections.. i did it on the pc that i am using to post. now, my mouse wont even move on it.. i guess ill just take it in, or try tomorrow, im having bad night.. thanks for your help tho

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/164139

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice