Display won't stay.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Nocontact

Whenever I shut down my PC my screen size keeps on being reset to the largest (and least clear) setting 840X600 or something like that. I like to keep it at 1024X768.
When I reboot only without shutting down this doesn't seem to happen. As usual I can just go in and reset it but it's getting to be a pain.
I'm trying to figure out what's happening here.
Any ideas?

P4 1.7
Asus P4S-333
256 DDR
GeForce 2 MX/MX 400.

Del

What operating system are you running?
Sounds like it's using a default video driver when you shut down and boot up again?

Del

I had the same thing in ME one time. I booted to the safe mode, Click Start > Settings > Control Panel, double click System then click device manager. Check display adapters and see if you have more then one listed. I did, I removed the one that was wrong and stopped the problem. In device manager in normal mode, it only showed one display adapter but in safe mode, found the culprit.

in display properties under the settings tab is your vedio card shown there

Thats a strange problem then. I'm interested in what the solution to your problem will be.

Del

Did you try going into the safe mode like I suggested?

Del

No, hitting delete when you reboot normally takes you to bios settings.
Reboot and while it's rebooting tap the F8 key about once or twice a second, you'll get a screen and see safe mode listed, select it.
Don't hold the F8 key down or you'll get a stuck key error and have to reboot again.

Del

I have a NVITIA display adapter, when I looked under display adapters, there was 2 listed. I removed the one I didn't have.
If you only have one there, look under Monitors also and make sure you don't have a duplicate there.

Nocontact

Hmmm, that was interesting.
Just checked under the display adapters and only the one Geforce was listed.
BUT, under monitors like you suggested there were 4 listings!
It looked like this:
Monitors- Default Monitor
Default Monitor

- Plug and Play Monitor
Plug and Play Monitor

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online