1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

display

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MintabiePete, Sep 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MintabiePete

MintabiePete Thread Starter

I have a Octek Rhino MVP4-AT motherboard that has a built in sound and display but I have never been able to get the display working and have used a PCI video card which works OK .

I have noticed in my BIOS an entry "Init Display First" and it is set on PCI slot but I can set it on AGP if I want .

The thing is if I try setting this to AGP and set the computer up with video this way what happens if it doesnt work ? am I stuck in Limbo with no where to go ?

I would like to get this to work on onboard video if I can.

Hoping someone can give me a hand :D

2. mobo

mobo

Then leave agp alone in the bios and go to the device manager and look fro yellow exclamation points. Do you see any ?

3. MintabiePete

If I enable Trident Video Blade 3d/mvp4 I do , I get a yellow ? , but I have had it disabled . If I enable it and hook the monitor to it I get nothing although it takes a drain of my memory of 8mb when I set it to AGP in the bios but this other setting is one that I never noticed re setting Init Display first PCI or AGP in the BIOS .

4. StillLearnin'

StillLearnin'

First set the BIOS setting to PCI-NOT AGP! DISABLE onboard video. Remove ALL instances of other video drivers. Install updated drivers for the PCI video card. Do all this in safe mode. Restart.

5. MintabiePete

Quote:

First set the BIOS setting to PCI-NOT AGP! DISABLE onboard video. Remove ALL instances of other video drivers. Install updated drivers for the PCI video card. Do all this in safe mode. Restart

No worries there my friend , I am trying to get the ONBOARD video working I :D Thanks tho for the input .

6. StillLearnin'

StillLearnin'

Sorry!!!!!!!!! Too late at night. The Bios setting should be enabled for onboard or else try PCI instead of AGP. Here is a link to some drivers for your mobo, maybe these are newer than what you have I don't know:

http://mobokive.dyndns.org/Archive/Octek/Pentium/Rhino MVP4 AT/

If the PCI setting doesn't work at all, then it has to be AGP.

7. mobo

mobo

What operating system ?

8. mobo

mobo

Get your video adapter driver here .

9. MintabiePete

I have three Op systems on this Win XP Home/win98SE/RedHatLinux8.0 on a 40Gb HDD.

I think my problem is in the BIOS settings , I have a AGP (enable or Disable) and this other Initial Display First (PCI slot or AGP slot) and there is no AGP slot it is onboard .

http://www.yjfy.com/O/OCTEK/mainboard/Rhino_MVP4-BKE.htm

It will run OK with the PCI Video card but I would like to get it running on the Trident Blade 4mb onboard if just to see it work.:D

10. mobo

mobo

Try both on agp

11. MintabiePete

I ended up going into BIOS changing initial display first to AGP slot then assigned IRG for AGP enabled that then assigned IRQ for VGA enabled that. Took my PCI video card out hooked up to the onboard video and booted and presto there it was .

I was under the assumpion that if I had the settings wrong I would have no screen and would have to reset my BIOS but evidentally it will go to bios automatically before it starts windows as a matter of course ( or so I have been told ) so thanks everyone for giving me a bit of a push with this , it is something that I have been putting off for ages :D

12. mobo

mobo

welcome:D

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/168389

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice