1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Displaying leading zeroes in Excel

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Jimtalbert, Sep 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jimtalbert

Jimtalbert Thread Starter

How can I get EXCEL XP to display leading zeroes? For example, I want to enter a long number that begins with "0435" but can't get the cell to display anything other than "435". The number can be stored as text because I don't plan to use it in formulae, etc. However, when I format the cell as text I get a scientific notation display.

2. MFDnNC

MFDnNC

Format Cell - Custom 0000 will give you 0435 and 00000 will give 00435

3. Jimtalbert

Thanks very much--never thought of that!

4. jmosmith

jmosmith

If you are using leading zeros, check your computer settings, under "my computer" / "control panel"/ "regional options": nubmers tab... select to display leading zero's.

I think there is another place to set this up also, I'll check and post back later.

You may be able to set EXCEL for leading zero's as well.

I had this problem between ACCESS and EXCEL, we did all this, and it fixed it.

the custome format also fixes it!

J

5. jmosmith

jmosmith

yeah, talked with the computer tech to refresh my memory, we changed the "date" format, for short date to mm/dd/yyyy, so that we would have leading zeros

geting:

01/01/2004

and not:

1/1/2004

you may need to do this as well if you are manipulating dates. otherwise I guess you're fine?

J

6. Jimtalbert

Thanks for the additional suggestions. Couldn't find anything in the Control Panel setting other than leading zeros before a decimal point. I'm okay with the custom number format but it just seems there should be a simple generic option somewhere to permit leading zeros under all circumstances.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/272397

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice