1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Displaying Results of Google Search

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by frangeb, Oct 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. frangeb

frangeb Thread Starter

I did a Google search yesterday that yielded over 10,000 hits, or so it was claimed. Google only displayed the 1st 500. I looked all over the Google site to find out how to display more of the citations. Couldn't find anything and the Google site doesn't seem to have a tech-support-by-e-mail option. Any suggestions on how to display more of the hits??

2. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

Hi, I cannot answer your question, however you should find some answers here:

http://www.google.com/support/bin/static.py?page=searchguides.html&ctx=results

Look at the number of results for the word beach

I think, Google respects the fact that no one would possibly ever want to look through that entire list....

http://www.google.com/librariancenter/articles/0512_01.html

I've run into the "limitation" too>

Setting your Preferences will help> you can try to filter out irrelevant, other language, results and set some other useful settings...

At the top of any Google search, click the Preferences link.

Or, ask Google> they should know! http://www.google.com/intl/en/help/faq.html#email

3. frangeb

frangeb Thread Starter

Thanks for the thoughts, Byteman. I'll look into your suggestions. I have to ask the question, though: If Google is only going to let you see the first 500 hits why do they advertise that there are several thousand to be viewed?

4. Byteman

Ya' know....I don't believe any of us could tell you why!

That's why I posted to ask Google(y)

I truthfully, have never had to go that far into search results, and I find that if there are like 500,000 after just a few pages, for some of the technical things I use google for, the results are scattered and not really relevant...it all goes back to relevancy....they can find that many results that contain the words but, the relationship of how and where the words relate to the exactness of what you want to find out tend to spiral downward over the span of the number of results....

Google tends to limit the relevancy of what it finds....actually, it has a prompt at the top of the last page of what it feels are good results...asking you, if you would like it to show the balance of what it feels, are not very good results....

As I said, at some point, perhaps someone applied some filtering to your Google! (If you are using one or more of the specialized search things, add-ons, the toolbar....from Google I mean- things that remain in effect)

5. lister

lister

6. Byteman

7. frangeb

frangeb Thread Starter

Thanks to you both, lister and Byteman, for your inputs. Particularly to you Byteman for the googleguide URL.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!