1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Disregard last USB posts, MUST read this.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by akira77, Sep 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. akira77

akira77 Thread Starter

Okay okay okay. Its not the USB port, and its not the Headset.

The computer doesnt even acknowledge the USB ports' existence.

I checked under the list of ports and etc. There was 2 COM and 1 LPT port, but no USB. This is odd because their ARE 2 USB ports right on the back with everything else. I even hooked the headset into both ports.

So, why doesnt my computer read, recognize, or acknowledge the 2 USB ports right on the back? The headset works on other computers just fine, so its not the headset. I've downloaded and updated all the Windows Update etc. under the Tools, Windows Update menu in Internet Explorer.All the driver's are updated and etc. Everything is finis'.

So why, why oh why does my computer not recognize the 2 USB ports sack dab on the back in plain sight and use???? ARGH!

I have Windows XP and an old TIGER computer with an AMD K6 processor.

2. GwizJoe

GwizJoe

Were the USB ports enabled in the BIOS?
    Do you see a "Universal serial bus controller" in your Device Manager?

You can have all sorts of I/O,sound,video,and Lan ports "in plain sight",but unless they are enabled in the BIOS,the computer doesn't even know they are there.And,if the computer doesn't know they are there,Windows won't load drivers for them,or set up the device for you to use at all.

3. compilerxp

compilerxp

USB ports are not listed under "ports" with COM & LPT...

Its listed at the bottom as:
    Universal Serial Bus Controllers

What kind of computer do you have? Make sure they are enabled in BIOS.

Read instructions for Headset *BEFORE* plugging in.

With many USB devices, if you plug them in FIRST, you cannot install the software drivers for them automaticly.

4. akira77

akira77 Thread Starter

Uh, what and where is BIOS?

Like i said, i have a Tiger computer with an AMD K-6 processor.

And no, the Universal Series Bus Controller isnt in my device manager.

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    When the computer is booting up it shows all the info and says press F1(F2, F10, or DEL) to enter setup. Do that and find the entry for USB(may be more than one, so get the one that enables USB not USB legacy) and enable it.

6. compilerxp

compilerxp

On very OLD Computers, they may have USB 1.0 or Pre 1.0 ports... and therefore not compatible with Windows and or the device.

I remember when USB was new... it was OUT for the PC for over a year before the Imac... but like the chicken & the egg - there were no devices... there were NO drivers... By the time Windows98 came out with USB support, there were some problems and USB 1.1 came out (hardware). Hence, even thou Win95 can be "patched" to use USB - most devices won't work with Windows95 anyways or the hardware it shipped with.

Try the BIOS thing, see if USB is turned off....

Options:
    1 - buy a $30 USB card
    2 - Upgrade to new computer $500~700

WindowsXP is very hard on the K6 system, you'll get better performance going back to Windows98...

I see Dell even has a little system for $350 (No CD-Burner) and 128mb RAM.

7. akira77

akira77 Thread Starter

Well, I checked the BIOS menu, and was quite shocked at what i found:

The USB enable thing wasn't even there.

Nothing in the menu said anything about USB or USB related things. I checked in all the other enus, but saw nothing about USB.

So...i cant enable USB in the BIOS menu because it isnt in there. What do i do now?

8. compilerxp

compilerxp

Options:
    1 - buy a $30 USB card

As stated before... they were building on USB ports onto motherboards before the software was ready. A BIOS update may enable them... but most likely they are off spec and will not work with any devices.

9. akira77

akira77 Thread Starter

Tell me more about this BIOS update.

I want to try all my options before bringing money into the mix.

10. compilerxp

compilerxp

I doubt it would work...

As stated before... if your motherboard is that old, it will most likely be a USB 1.0 setup which has problems. You need to track down the maker of your motherboard - use aida32 from www.aida32.hu

See what BIOS files they have available... again, it must be for YOUR board specificly. Download it, unpack it, read the instructions, run the BIOS update utility.

- DOing so can also KILL your board if you do it wrong.
    - Some BIOS updater programs have bugs... especially with older stuff, who knows. I've seen "BIOS MISMATCH ERROR" when both products *DO* match...

1 - buy a $30 USB card

Question... why did you buy the headset? Why not a normal regular headset? note: your USB headset is EMULATING a sound card... correct? If so, it will require quite a bit of CPU time to work. Even on the best of systems, the results are not great... with some of us shaking our heads "why bother?" Yes, such products have their place.

Start saving money... The more you want to do with your computer, the harder it'll be getting to do so. This is one example.

If you get a digital camera... you'll need more power and proper working USB ports anyways.

11. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Did that system come with the USB ports or did you add them later??????

12. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

My old celeron [email protected] motherboard won't recognize the ports without installing the motherboard drivers.. Try finding out who made the motherboard and visiting their website to find the motherboard drivers...

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/168460

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice