1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dissamble Power Adapter brick - laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by springbrk200, Jul 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. springbrk200

springbrk200 Thread Starter

I have recently noticed that depending on the position of the low volt line exiting the power adapter brick for my laptop, my laptop will register as pluged in, or as running on battery power. My AC power adapter brick has a lose connection in it. I want to disasemble it and attempt to fix the connector.

I am currently studying electrical/computer engineering so I feel confident that I will be able to fix it, but I can get inside the box.

as always any and all help is greatly appreciated.

ps. yea I could go buy a new power adapter, but I don't want to spend that $60 if I can help it.

2. Courtneyc

Courtneyc

If your brick is anything like the ones I make, it is encased in epoxy inside the plastic case. (I do it to allow the brick to survive drops.) If that's the case, you won't be able to fix it.

What is the make/model of your laptop?

Courtney sends....

3. darkelf_18

darkelf_18

A certain position at the female port on your laptop? Or a certain POS coming out of your power brick...

Cause I had a similar problem and it was actually the motherboard that was at fault(went and bought a new IGO power cable...)

4. springbrk200

the problem is definitely on the power brick. I have a HP presario V2000. I think the power brick might be encased in epoxy, but I still want in even if that means cutting through it. If I did cut through it where would be a good location to avoid aditional damage?

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Actually, the prediction that it's impossible to fix is incorrect. I've fixed this kind of issue, a Dremel tool with a cutoff wheel comes in handy. I just split the case and repaired it, then epoxied it back together.

6. springbrk200

That's actually exactly what I was planning on doing, I recently purchased a new dremel tool. Ok if no one has any other advice, I will be drilling this weekend. Thanks.

7. JohnWill

What I do is cut around the glue line keeping the cut shallow and working it in until I just penetrate the enclosure. Obviously, if you get carried away, you might cut something important going too deep. Once you get used to using a Dremel with a cutoff wheel, you'll wonder how you ever got along without it. :D

8. springbrk200

Solved: I decided to use a utility knife instead of the dremel tool, as I didn't want to wake up my roommates. There were metal plates on all sides of the brick just inside the outside plastic, therefore cut on the seams, and don't worry about damaging interior components as the metal will stop the knife. The positive wire was broken in the middle of the stress relief. I simply spliced the wires and it works like a charm. Thanks guys...

9. JohnWill

Glad it worked out for you.

You can mark your own threads solved using the thread tools at the top of the page in the upper right corner.© :)

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/596331