1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dissapearing Connection?!?!? Please help?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by sirspammer, Jul 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sirspammer

sirspammer Thread Starter

Hey, firstly, the computer is running in XP home edition, and is relitivly new and sparkly..

But this is not the first time i have had to post about this computer.. To start with my mum managed to get it overrun by malware, the computer had pretty much all viruses and spyware known to man, and you guys helped sort that out...

Then after this, and probably due to that, we had connection issues.. we couldnt connect to the internet or the network.. This time after a few days of posts noone could work it out, and we needed a quick fix, so we took it to the local computer shop, where they fixed it, but for £30.. and it worked fine again, no problems, up untill this point...

Now again we have the same problem.. the computer wont attach to the internet or the network.. When trying to rapair the connection, windows shows an error of not being able to refresh the ip adress.. I have reaserched and googled the problem for a while now and have tried many fixes and diffrent suggestions, including WinsockxpFIx but none have yet had any result, so i thoughi better post my indervidule problem to you guys...

As far as i know the problem has come out of knoware.. there has been no new programs installed, and the compuer was fine.. but i have noticed, i think in trying to remove the login screen to windows, that an odd profile has been removed from the computer, that i think was created by the shop that previously fixed the computer.. this is all i can think woul dhave done it.. but im not sure if it would have had anny effect.

I have quized my dad about how the shop fixed the computer, but with his memory he thinks it was that they simply uninstalled AVG Anti Spyware, that was preventing the IP adress to refresh, althogh i dont think it was such a simple thing.. espeshaly as it seemes they created there own login for the computer..

The computer is meant to link to a router, that in turn is connected to a BT home hub for the internet, there are three other working computers on the network, all running in windows XP proffesional..

Feel free to ask any questions.. i dont know if i have missed anything out.. Thanks for your help.. Sam..

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Windows XP with SP2.

For these commands, Start, Run, CMD to open a command prompt.

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ip reset reset.log

Reboot the machine.

Start, Run, CMD to open a command prompt:

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB disk, or a CD-RW disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.

3. sirspammer

Cheers.. here is the result.. ALso i noticed the lights on the router are on, and the computer is still sending, but not reciving packets.. incase that has any relevance..

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Lou>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : LOULOU
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes
    DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : home

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 3:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : home
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8168/8111 PCI-E Gigabit E
    thernet NIC
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-17-31-30-E3-1D
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.69
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 07 July 2007 19:04:35
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 08 July 2007 19:04:35

C:\Documents and Settings\Lou>

4. invalidusername

invalidusername

Are you using Firefox or IE?

If IE, on IE menu,

Tools-Internet Options-Connections-Lan settings

Uncheck the box below Proxy Server, click ok

Then try it.

If you are using Firefox, may be more complicated.

5. sirspammer

IE.. the thing was unchecked.. but.. just as the connection dissapeared it is now working again.. i have just left the computer on for the day while i have been trying to fix it and it is now working.. nonone has toched it..

Unless the ipconfig would have fixed something....

so i spose i should mark it as solved.. anyone have any ideas though.. as it will likely happen again as we dont know the problem

6. sirspammer

could the button have unticked itself?

7. invalidusername

invalidusername

No, the button won't do it by itself. Well, lets just keep and eye on it to see what happen next.

8. sirspammer

Ok.. ill let you know how it is...

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/592872

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice