1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dissapearing Hard drive space! Help!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kingbman, Oct 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kingbman

kingbman Thread Starter

Hi i had recently downloaded command and conquer from a friend and installed it and it played nicely. I didnt enjoy the game so i decided to delete it. noticing it didnt have a icon on the add/remove i manually just deleted the folders and such.....Now it appears to me that i am losing hard drive space/memory.....today i had 390GB left after instillation after deleteing i had 385GB and now i have 384.....i bought this HP pavillion with vista like 3 days ago and i would not like to see it crash and burn.

I just checked the memory again in writing this post now its down to 382 GB
    i have 4GB ram and 453GB on my hard drive

I ran Treesize and i came across this....

27,402MB C:\
    15,388MB Windows
    4,265MB program files

Can someone please help me with this disapearing space???
    1.928MB Program data

2. maxibhoy

maxibhoy

reinstall the game, then find it's folder in program files. Inside here there should be a uninstall icon, double click this and get rid proper. Btw illeagle copies of games are forbidden from being discussed here so i take it it's all above board?! Max.

3. Compiler

Compiler

Also some games have HUGE save files.... so you need to look in your profile forder.

Get the free program called "Space Monger" like from www.downloads.com - it'll show you ALL of your drive space usage... one of the best PC programs to have. Click OFF the EMPTY area so you can get a better view of actual usage.

4. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

Keep in mind with a new PC you had no System Restore points created, or Shadow Copies of documents. Shadow copies are created when a file is changed. A new Restore point will usually be created every day, as well as one when you install software. These Restore points can range in size from 100MB to over 1GB each. System Restore will use max 15% of your hard drive, so on a 450GB drive that will top out at 67.5 GB.

So in the first month or two (maybe less if you install a lot of software), you'll see 67GB mysteriously "disappear". It'll be hiding in the System Volume Information folder.

Temporary Internet files will grow up to the limit set in the options for whichever browser you are using, and temp files left over by installers can take a bit of space as well. You can use disk clean up to clear these out.

HTH

Jerry

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/755485

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice