1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dissappearing Icons on back-up disc

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by neary, Feb 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. neary

neary Thread Starter

I'm trying to get my new DELL E1750 notebook up and running and have a problem with one of my back-up CD-R disc used on the old PC.
    When I click on the disc it opens and displays 7 folders. Run the curser over each one and they show each folder having 10-30 MB of data. When I click on any folder, that folder(and sometimes all folders) disappear. I've tried copy/paste,drag/drop but nothing works.
    Can anyone out there conjure up a solution for my disappearing folders? Natural they contain info that I cant reproduce.
    Sincerely: a Gal in trouble.

2. renegade X

renegade X

What environment are you in? If you are on a domain, right-click, go to properties, and select Security.

3. neary

neary Thread Starter

Thanks Renegade X for your response. I'm dumber than dirt on most of the terminology that is used. We are using Earthlink and have a DSL connection. I went to The "D" drive which has my problem disc, right clicked on properties, and nothing showed up that said security. Did the same to the folders that keep disappearing--same results.
    Can you possibly give me some click by click instructions?
    Thanks

4. renegade X

renegade X

Oh wait! Try another disc. Does it have issues as well? If not, clean the disc. Either way, you might want to clean your drive as well.

5. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    There is a slight chance that Windows may be hiding files that it thinks you should not be messing with. If you are running Windows XP, try ....

To display hidden files and folders
    Open Folder Options in Control Panel.
    Click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.
    Double-click Folder Options
    On the View tab, under Hidden files and folders, click Show hidden files and folders.

Notes:

Hidden files and folders will appear dimmed to indicate they are not typical items. Usually, hidden files are program or system files that should not be deleted or changed. To display other hidden files, clear the Hide protected operating system files (Recommended) check box.
    If you know the name of a hidden file or folder, you can search for it. For more information, click Related Topics.
    If you want to see all file name extensions, clear the Hide file extensions for known file types check box.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!