1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dissappearing Picture Files

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by Garryowen, Oct 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Garryowen

Garryowen Thread Starter

My computer keeps deleting my picture files!

I have files on the hard drive of family etc... but suddenly some of the directories are now empty... several folders that I know had 20+ pictures each are now completely empty.

Could this be caused by my running the disk clean-up utility? I dont look at the photos all the time, so they are 'inactive' files but why would the computer delete pictures files!?

2. Armiris

Armiris

Where do you store the photos? In My Pictures, or a folder created by photo software?

3. Garryowen

Garryowen Thread Starter

I put them in folders that I create... some as subfolders in the My Pictures folder, and some in special folders that I create -- Family Reunion 05 for example...

4. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

Are you using Widows to do this (as in Copy n Paste or Explore) ..
    or are you using an organizer/browser program ... like Kodak or HP ??

5. Garryowen

Garryowen Thread Starter

I open the storage on the camera as a folder and copy / paste into the directories I want the photos in.

Then I have to go thru and rename them to something relevent so they are not all just the default filename the camara gave.

Sometimes I work with a photo in PhotoSuite to adjust red-eye or to crop it. Usually save them all in .jpg, but sometimes will save as something else.

6. Armiris

Armiris

Have you used a virus scan recently? Did it pick up anything?

7. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

Since you use windows, and not a browser/organizer program ... that eliminates one possibility.

I was wondering about a virus also .. but why just picture files ??

What disc cleanup utility are you using ???
    I work the same way ... using windows to manually organize/view my pictues ..
    and use CCleaner to clean my HD... Several times a day ... http://www.ccleaner.com/
    Not had a problem yet.

8. Garryowen

Garryowen Thread Starter

Macaffee protected every day... My first thought was a virus but cannot find anything about one that only targets pictures.

I wonder about the windows disk cleanup routine.... it says it archives inactive files... but it shouldnt make them disappear!

9. 00trav

00trav

windows shouldn't archive any pictures, especially the ones in the my pictures user directory.

have you tried copying all the pictures to a different location on your hard drive, and see what happens.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/642987

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice