1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Distorted sound for 2nd time...Gateway says nothings wrong

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kody1234, Apr 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kody1234

kody1234 Thread Starter

So I had a distorted sound problem a few months ago...sent it off to Gateway to get fixed they gave me a new hard drive and it was fixed....about 2 weeks ago it starts doing it again....I reinstall the driver and that does nothing...so I talk to gateway and send it back in...I get a call a few days after it arrives there and they say they can't replicate the problem..meaning they don't hear any distortion(by distortion I mean staticy sound skipping). They send it back and tell me it could have been a lack of memory, because I didn't have a lot of memory to begin with and I told them that right before i sent it in my dad checked my processes and noticed ITunes Helper was using a lot of memory so I shut off the automatic updates on my Itunes and she said that could have been it. I get it back today...and the freakin' thing is worse then when I sent it in...I don't know if they just decided to not play any music or video or anything or they are all deaf at Gateway. I'm gonna call them but I would rather try and fix it myself then sending it back again. This forum has helped me in the past so I hope you can help me now! (PS~ It's a Gateway Laptop I run Windows XP)

2. Mosquito555

Mosquito555

Hi!

Can you please post more details about your system and audio configuration?

Since they say that they can't replicate the problem maybe it's your audio configuration. Have you tried a different set of speakers/headphones?

3. NICK G

NICK G Banned

Is it just playing ITunes or any music/audio media?
    Playing an audio cd is distorted also?
    If sound is distorted in any app or media, then yes, it is a prob with system,
    especially if prob is present with headphones and speakers.:)

4. kody1234

kody1234 Thread Starter

The problem is present even when I have my external speakers hooked up or have headphones in. I haven't tried playing a cd in it, but right now it seems to be really just Itunes playing music is the worst...If i play a youtube video or a video with Windows Media player as long as they are loaded they don't seem to have a problem....but I have the distortion when I boot my computer...the Windows chimes are staticy.

what other information about my sound do you need?

5. kody1234

kody1234 Thread Starter

I just tried an audio cd and played it through Windows Media Player...it was a bit better then playing an mp3 through Itunes...but still had some static throughout it

6. Mosquito555

Mosquito555

Let's assume that this is a software problem...

When they changed your drive they obviously reinstalled windows. Assuming that a clean installation of windows didn't have any problems try to remember if you installed/uninstalled anything audio related when the problems started again. Maybe codecs? Any audio/video playing software? :confused:

Try reinstalling the latest driver again but make sure that you remove the older version first.

7. Gnomad

Gnomad

Along with the distorted audio when booting your computer, does it also take longer than normal to boot?

8. kody1234

kody1234 Thread Starter

yes it takes FOREVER to boot up...and just my whole system seems to be moving slower...lagging a bit

as far as I know I didn't install anything audio related when it happened....the only thing that I was doing different at the time it happened was that I had a torrent downloading so Bittorrent was open...which it normally isn't.

9. kody1234

kody1234 Thread Starter

I just uninstalled and reinstalled the sound driver and that didn't do anything.

10. Gnomad

Gnomad

Check if your hard drive has fallen back to PIO transfer mode from DMA.Go to START, then RUN, type in devmgmt.msc and hit enter. Doubleclick
    IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers,doubleclick on Primary IDE Channel. Click on the Advanced Settings tab, for the Current Transfer Mode it should say
    Ultra DMA Mode, if it says PIO then close the Primary IDE Channel Properties window. In Device Manager right click on the Primary IDE Channel and select
    Uninstall, then close Device Manager and reboot your computer. Windows will reinstall the Primary IDE Channel with the proper settings.

11. kody1234

kody1234 Thread Starter

YOU ARE ME GOD GNOMAD!!!!! Not only is it like 100x faster....the sound is fixed!!!!!!!! Thank you so much....I knew I should have come here before sending it back to Gateway....everyone here always knows what to do...lol!

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/702704

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice