1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Distorted Sound While Playing Games

Discussion in 'Games' started by Jkc20105, Sep 4, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jkc20105

Jkc20105 Thread Starter

So I'm trying to figure out what's going on. One day my PC runs perfectly fine when playing games, but recently when I booted either Mount and Blade: Warband or Runescape, the sound is really distorted or staticy and accompanied by a small amount of lag.

Now I'm not entirely sure what the problem is, I've updated all of my drivers and everything should be good to go. I even disabled the VACs that I was using, although I'm not sure if they could have been a problem. But either way, none of those fixed the issue, so I was hoping somebody here could give me some advice.

I'm running with a GeForce GTX 960, 16GB RAM, and an AMD FX(tm)-8120 Eight-Core Processor.

If more information is needed, I'll add it, but if anybody could help me out, that'd be great!

EDIT: Newer games such as Wolfenstein or even Skyrim work and sound perfectly fine, it's only the slightly older games.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2017
  2. HyperHenry

HyperHenry

First Name:
    Henry
    If you run this it will post all your specs except for the PSU, if you can provide that too it would be appreciated. http://static.techguy.org/download/SysInfo.exe. Are these games you installed from a disk or were they downloaded? It sounds like there might be some corruption in the games themselves.

3. Jkc20105

Jkc20105 Thread Starter

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: AMD FX(tm)-8120 Eight-Core Processor, AMD64 Family 21 Model 1 Stepping 2
    Processor Count: 8
    RAM: 16367 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960, -1 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 465 GB (106 GB Free);
    Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer INC., M5A88-V EVO
    Antivirus: Avast Antivirus, Enabled and Updated

Runescape is a client based game that was downloaded, and Mount and Blade is downloaded from Steam. None of the games I play or buy are hard copies.

I've reinstalled both the client for Runescape and Mount and Blade, yet it didn't help.

4. HyperHenry

HyperHenry

First Name:
    Henry
    How bout the PSU? brand/model and watts.

5. Jkc20105

Jkc20105 Thread Starter

It's an EVGA 600B, although I'm not entirely sure if it's putting out less than what it's supposed to. I bought the computer from a friend a while back and he said he had replaced the power supply shortly before I bought it.

6. HyperHenry

HyperHenry

First Name:
    Henry
    Please download http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html. When finished please click the Windows key and prnt scrn. You find the screenshot in the Pictures folder in a subfolder called screenshots. Please upload it here.

7. Jkc20105

Jkc20105 Thread Starter

Here you go, hope this helps.

Attached Files:

• HW1.png
      HW1.png
      File size:
      135.4 KB
      Views:
    • HW2.png
      HW2.png
      File size:
      108.8 KB
      Views:
  8. HyperHenry

HyperHenry

First Name:
    Henry
    You're CPU is overheating. The minimum was 67 where normal is 50. I'd blow your fans out with canned air, make sure all the fans are running. I'm also going to have some one look at your voltages.

9. HyperHenry

HyperHenry

First Name:
    Henry
    Your CPU Vcore voltage is low. See if there's an update available for your bios. this may solve all three problems.

10. Jkc20105

Jkc20105 Thread Starter

Okay, I'm a bit lost, what's a good way to check for bios updates? I'm familiar with most things, this is just something I haven't done before.

11. HyperHenry

HyperHenry

First Name:
    Henry
  12. Jkc20105

Jkc20105 Thread Starter

Says there's an update for my Graphics Card driver and NVIDIA High Def Audio, updating those with the Driver Navigator requires a license key though.

13. Jkc20105

Jkc20105 Thread Starter

I'm starting to figure it out though, I should be able to get a bit of it. I'll keep you updated in case I have any more problems.

14. HyperHenry

HyperHenry

First Name:
    Henry
    Sorry, that was an imposter site. It said ASUS download site.

15. Dianenaquin

Dianenaquin

Your CPU Vcore voltage is low.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1195854

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice