1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Distorted Video Picture

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by amandag, Feb 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. amandag

amandag Thread Starter

Looked through some of the existing threads but didn't find anything similar to my problem.

I have a friend who likes to watch QVC (yes, that TV shopping channel) off and on during the day. You can select "Watch QVC Live" and watch whatever program is on at the time.
    She asked me to find out why the video recently started to display distorted.

I took a look and saw that the area of the screen where the video displays is broken up into a series of colored lines. You can vaguely see images behind the lines and movement as the image changes but the lines remain the dominant feature.

I checked and found that they use Windows Media Player v. 9.0 for PC users. She has Real Player 10. I downloaded WMP v. 10 for her since v 9.0 is no longer available to XP users according to Microsoft web site. That didn't solve the problem.

I asked her to email QVC customer support but they were no help.

I asked if she had made any changes recently. The only things she could recall is cleaning out some Cookies and maybe responding to a message asking her to make Real Player her default player. I checked her Real Player settings and changed it so it should not be her default any longer. That didn's solve the problem.

Perhaps the problem has something to do with mixing the two players. When I changed Real Player from being the detault player it listed a lot of media files asking me to select which ones I wanted for Real Player. That's when I ended my ability to figure this one out.

Any ideas out there? Thanks.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/540353

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice