Distributed Computing on an iMac G3?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

The DOS Machine

Hello Mac users!

I've recently been running the distributed computing (DC) client from GRID.ORG on my Windows PC and realized that I have an old (1999 is likely) lime-green 333 MHz G3 iMac (CRT type) with 64MBs of memory and Mac OS 8.6 that I would love to have crunching for a DC project as well. Unfortunately, however, I've been a PC user all my life and yesterday (when I tested the iMac) was the first time that I had ever used a Macintosh computer. Thus, I need your help to explore my options.

A DC client needs an internet connection to upload results, and I'll, obviously, need a browser to download the program. During the test, however, I was not able to find or open any internet browser whatsoever. The help system mentioned IE and Netscape, but there were no links to launch these programs anywhere. I suspect they were never installed in the first place, and I don't even know if I have the OS CD-ROM (not likely).

A second problem is that there are no DC projects currently running that will work on a Mac OS earlier than X, except for one which I don't want to use. I've read that one person has upgraded their 333 iMac to Mac OS 10.3.9; is this possible? If so, how can I acquire a CD? Spending virtually any money at all on this computer is probably not worth whatever a 333 MHz G3 can crunch.

So, is there any hope? Perhaps someone who has upgraded to 10.4 and no longer needs their older CD (assuming it will run on this computer)?

OSX may run on the 333 iMac, but it will be very slow. The iMac probably has a 6 gig HD (will need a much larger one), and will need much more than 64 mb ram. It's really not worth the expense and trouble. It may not do what you want it to, the way it sits now, but OS 8.6 is a great OS. Very user friendly. If nothing else, will make a very good internet machine.

Unless it's been deleted, Netscape 4.7 should be on the computer, somewhere. Open the system folder, and look for a folder called Internet or something similar. Should be in there. You can also hold down the "Command" key (Apple key, beside space bar) and press the "F" key. This will open the "Find" feature. Type in "Netscape" or "Internet Explorer" and hit "Enter". If either is on the computer, it will show you where.
Good luck!

I have 3 b/w G3 towers I have set up using xGrid off my Tiger server. I hope to use these for DC as well as a renderfarm for my 3D graphic work.

I'll give some results when I have it working. I just rebuilt the systems with OS X.3.9 this weekend and haven't finished the setup yet.

John

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online