Distro suggestion (for gaming)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Mithrilhall

Ok...I now have an extra computer here and I would love to install a Linux distro that is well equiped to play games (mainly Counter-Strike Source).

I would also like a distro that doesn't suffer from "dependency hell" and updates easily using apt.

I prefer KDE but am open to Gnome.

Any suggestions? (p.s. I'm a Linux n00b)

If you're going to play CS source, then your extra pc must be relatively speedy. If you want an apt based distro, why not just use the original, Debian? Debian testing (etch) has the 2.6 kernel and more available software than you can shake a stick at. 2 things though, an nvidia based card is almost a must and of all the games, I've had the most problems with steam. I had it running with cedega but every time steam did an update I had to go through the whole install again. HL has always been and will always be windows friendly.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online