1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Ditch those shortcut arrows!

Discussion in 'Tech Tips and Reviews' started by Big-K, Sep 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Big-K

Big-K Thread Starter

From http://www.mdgx.com/ .

"To safely hack the Registry to permanently remove those funky little shortcut arrows, without adversely affecting your program shortcuts in any way, start Regedit and go to:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Lnkfile

and to:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Piffile

In each of these folders the right hand pane has the "IsShortcut" String Value. Right-click on it, select Rename, and change it to read "IsNotShortcut" (no quotes).
    Close Regedit and reboot.
    The arrows are gone now, but Windows still sees all the affected icons as shortcuts and treats them accordingly. :)"

Just like some of the other hacks that site offers, you wouldnt think it would be all that noticable, but it is. I'd upload a pic of my desktop now but my computer isnt wanting to let me. Try it for yourself.

2. Deke40

Deke40

BigK-Here is some info from one of the legends of the various forums, Mosaic1.

Haven't ran across any of her postings in quite awhile and wonder if everything is alright with her.

3. Big-K

Big-K Thread Starter

Considering it's from over a year ago I wouldnt have noticed it. I found the hack from a site that was linked on the beemer website. It had a risky version, a safe version, and a tweakui version. I posted the safe version, which is what I used.

4. mach9

mach9

Big-K:
    Reg Seeker has the arrow removal in its Tweeks section, as well as removal of the words. I removed all with either TweekUI or TweakAll3 in 2003, and all new shortcut icons seem to adhere to that protocol. Wonder why? I'm not brave enough (or competent enough) to edit the registry on my own. Glad these apps will take responsibility (and blame).

5. Flags

Flags

How aabout this?
    Right click on the icon on your desktop, choose Properties>Change Icon and select the different icon.
    Most of the new icons don't have the little arrows.

6. Big-K

Big-K Thread Starter

Yes they do. The arrow is attached automatically to anything with the extension .ink(also called shortcuts). Try it.

7. Flags

Flags

Big K. Fooey! That's what I get for not checking out my own advise. I just saw the icon w/no arrow and made an assumption. Sorry.

8. Big-K

Big-K Thread Starter

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/270561

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice